Battle in the snow

The red lights flashed above our heads as the shouts of our guards echoed through the dark, cold, hallways. I cowered beside my bed and shivered. Pietro walked over and Hunched beside me. "It's alright, come on, we'll go see if we can help."

Wanda had already broken down the door. "Come on little sister, let's see if we can get you some fresh air." I grabbed my backpack with what few possessions that I had, a small stuffed animal dragon that I made myself, a sketchbook, a box of colored pencils, and a newspaper about the closing down of the lab my parents worked at.

We hurried into the computer room, urgent Russian bubbled over my head, of course I understood it, I just refused to listen to it. I wasn't born in Sokovia, why should they force me to follow their orders when they bark them at me in a language that reminds me that I only learned  because my father had dumped me off at this hell hole anyways?

I hadn't been born here, I had been born in a small town in North America. Somewhere in a state called Ten-as-see. At least I think I'm pronouncing it right.

While Wanda and Pietro were focused on listening to the guards, I snuck off, when I was sure I was out of sight, I took off running. Down to the tunnel where the tanks and other vehicles were exiting. That's when I saw who we were being invaded by, and my heart dropped to my stomach. There were a lot of guards on the other group's side, but my focus wasn't on them. It was on 6 of them. A man in a red and gold suit flew over my head. Another man was in a red, white, and blue suit was beating off guards like it was nothing using only a shield. The only woman in the group was shooting a small group of guards off a tank as a man with long gold hair and a red cape flew over her head. I had to duck to avoid being shot by an arrow that had narrowly missed one guard coming from a man wearing a purple and black bullet proof vest.

This was my chance, I ran out into the forest and ducked behind a tree. That's when I realized one of the 6 had ran off while I was analyzing them. A large blur of green crashed past me and I looked around.

The avengers. That's the name that rang through my head as I watched the group. I turned to look behind me and watched Pietro dash out of the tunnel that I came from. I ran out into the midst of the battle and pulled my black hoodie over my head to cover my dark purple hair.

Oh and I didn't dye it, in case you were wondering. I was born that way, the guardians, them being the people who "raised" me, would never let me change the color.

I turned and saw a giant tank flying over my head, I couldn't help but shriek and toss my hand over my head as I made the tank explode with a spell Wanda had taught me last year, when I was 10.

I felt a rumble and looked up as a flash of blue rippled off the institute's walls. The force field had been breached. Good. I thought triumphantly. I turned around suddenly and found myself face to face with the guy with the purple vest, his bow was pulled back and pointed at my heart, but he paused once he looked into my light pink eyes, more of mauve really.

I couldn't talk, my voice had gotten caught in my throat and I couldn't speak, this usually happened when I was scared, which was often.

So instead of talking, I signed "hello" in sign language. He tilted his head to the side curiously, I assumed he didn't know what I said, but then he signed back "Are you deaf too?"

I shook my head, and was about to sign my name when the man was knocked to the ground by Pietro. I ran off and hid under a rocky overhang just as Pietro laughed at the guy and teased "You didn't see that coming?"

I waited until Pietro's yelling of my name had faded away into the distance and made my way deeper into the woods, away from the thickest part of the fight. I soon found a plane, open and heard voices heading towards my direction, in a panic, I ran inside and hid behind a wooden crate.