The party

"Hey, it's alright, you look great." Natasha told me later that night, I stood in front of the full length mirror and looked at myself. I was wearing a forest green dress with sparkly sleeves. It covered up my bruises at least, so I wouldn't have to worry about people questioning me.

She helped do my hair into a braided half up half down hair style. "Just... try to talk to people, I don't know. I'll be working at the bar if you need someone to talk to."

Natasha disappeared down the hall and into the soft sound of music and talking that echoed below. I sat down on the chair next to the mirror and put my head in my hands. I can handle this. I told myself. It's just a party, you don't have to talk to anyone, if they talk to you first, just answer them.

I walked over down the hallway and paused when I reached Thor's room. He was down at the party, but I could've sworn that, even through the buzz of downstairs conversation, I could hear a low humming noise coming from somewhere in his room. Cautiously, I peered inside. Nobody was in there, but Thor's hammer, Mjollnir, was sitting on a chair at the foot of his bed. That's where the hum came from. I stepped towards it and the hum seemed to grow louder. Carefully, slowly, I reached my hand out to the handle of the hammer, grasped it tightly, and pulled.

To my surprise, it lifted in my hand. I stared at it in disbelief, set it down quickly, and hurried out the room.

"Hey, I haven't seen you around." Clint called to me when I reached to foot of the stairs. "Yeah, I had to mentally prepare myself for," I gestured around at the party "all this."

He nodded and smiled, "I have a daughter that's the same age as you." He told me. I nodded and saw someone coming up behind Clint. "Hey Clint, word of advice, don't try telling Tony or Thor your origin story, they are a terrible audience." Clint chuckled in response and the man looked over at me. "Hey weird kid, Peyton right?" He asked. I nodded, "cool, I'm James Rhodes, war machine, of course." I shook my head. "Sorry... I don't know who you are."

Rhodes looked disappointed, "it's fine, anyways everyone just calls me Rhodes, see you around I guess."
Clint and I watched him leave, and soon Maria and a group of a few others called Clint over, he waved and nodded to them, "I'll be over there, don't be afraid of talking to anyone, nobody- no- most people aren't going to hate you."

Thanks for the reassurance, Clint.

I nodded and looked around at the party. Groups of people were scattered here and there, and I honestly didn't know what to do. I found myself wishing that Wanda or Pietro were here, they'd be so much better company than a bunch of adults that I'd never met before.
***
As it turns out, quite a few people were interested in meeting the 10 year old from Sokovia who, unlike Wanda and Pietro, had an American accent and somewhat unknown abilities.

It was later at night, most people had gone home and now it was just the original 6, Rhodes, Maria, and Dr. Cho. Thor had brought down his hammer and was telling the tales of Asgard when Clint spoke up. "That whole thing is a trick," his voice got lower in imitation of Thor "whoever is worthy shall be able to wield the mighty hammer of Thor! Whatever man."
"Oh well then, by all means go ahead and try it." Thor smiled triumphantly.
I felt an uneasy prickle as I remembered earlier that night, I looked over to see Clint's expression. 
Clint rolled his eyes and stood up, he put his foot on the table and grabbed the hammer. Unsuccessfully, he put his hands back at his side.
"I'm giving my silent judgment." Tony said, laughing along with the rest. "Fine, Stark, you do it if you're so worthy then." Tony stood up, "I'm not one to shy away from a challenge." He straightened his suit jacket and went to go pick up the hammer.

I had to admit, Tony had a lot more dedication in trying to pick it up, but to no prevail. Steve had actually managed to move it a tiny bit, sending a look of concern over Thor's face that nobody noticed but me, Bruce attempted it but managed to laugh it off as a joke. Natasha didn't even try.

"Does anyone have Thor's finger print?" Tony asked jokingly. "I'll go get the tape." I volunteered, smiling. To my surprise the group actually laughed and Tony asked "how do you know about that?"
"Well when you live in a building where the prohibited areas were locked off by fingerprint recognition..." I shrugged.

"Or I have a simpler explanation." Said Thor, picking up the hammer. He tossed it in the air, caught it, and set it back down. I stood up and walked over to it.

"No offense kid but if I can't pick it up I doubt you would be able to-" Steve began, being cut short when I lifted it, struggling slightly, into the air with a proud smirk. "H-how?" Thor asked, looking down at me.

"I guess I'm just worthy." I replied. "Oh and I had found it earlier and tested it out of curiosity."

Just then, the wall broke down behind Tony, who was facing me.

"How can you all be worthy?" A deep, scratchy voice sounded. "You're all monsters."