Chapter 16 - A Heart to Heart

TW mentions of abuse

I'm still on Henry's lap, leaning on his chest while he robotically rubs my back. I looked up and saw him staring off into the distance.

"What are you thinking?" I asked softly and turned my head looking up at him.

"I just can't think of a reason for someone to hurt you, you're so innocent and one of the nicest people I've ever met." he says "and I'm trying to figure out why you didn't tell me this sooner," he says his voice cracking a little.

"I don't know,  it's just I didn't want you to think differently of me, I was scared, and embarrassed to tell you," I said not looking up at him.

"You should never think that Amanda, I love you no matter what and you know I do," he said.

"I'm so sorry Henry I knew I should have told you but it's so hard to even think about it let alone talk about it. What he did to me made me feel so bad about myself, I don't like thinking about it." I say.

"I get that Amanda just know you can always." he says and picks up my chin with a single finger and looks me in the eyes "Always trust me okay?".

"Yeah, Hen I know that now, you and Isaac are the only ones I told about this, not even Kelly knows. I told her that he used me to get in my pants and left me. She doesn't know about the abuse at all." I say looking down a few tears escape my eyes.

"I'm going to go back to these guys so they don't think I've died." Isaac said standing up " And I'm always there for you munchkin, don't forget It." he said and made his way out.

"I have three questions for you, Amanda," Henry says.

"Okay I'll answer them all honestly, I don't think I can lie to you anymore," I say getting off his lap and straddling the bench next to him so I'm facing him.

"Okay well has that assh*le made contact with you or tried talking to you?" he asks balling up his fists.

"Do you remember my cousin's graduation?" I asked.

"Mhm Adams?"

"Well, Ryan went to the same school remember?" I asked and he nodded "That's why I didn't want to go, but you guys wouldn't let me stay home."

~ flash back~

The graduation ceremony was over Henry, my dad and I were near the refreshment table during the after-party.

"Hey Dad I'm going to the bathroom I'll be right back," I said and made my way towards the bathroom. To get to the bathroom you had to walk down this long hallway. On the walls were pictures of graduates and their success, and there were some mirrors. And out of the corner of my eye, I saw something so I turned around and there was Ryan.

He looked me up and down, giving me a predatory glance over.

"Well, what do we have here," he said grabbing me by my arm and pushing me against the wall.

"What do you want from me Ryan, you already took everything away from me," I said looking him straight in the eye.

"I want you, you easy little slut." he said, "your mine, and only mine you ungrateful bitch." He spat at me.

"You know what, I'm done with you. You ass, you took everything away from me, don't you ever call me yours again after what you did to me." I snapped right back.

"but I'm in love with you princess."

"You don't even know what love is, and don't you dare call me princess you-you douche." I say back "And don't you ever say you love me because if you truly did you would never have hit me or-or r-rapped me." I said

"It's not rape if you enjoy it."

"Wow okay, so I guess you call getting the shit beaten out of you and screaming for you to stop, consent then?" I spat at him I was beyond done.

While we were arguing his grip loosened and I ripped my arm from his grasp kneed him where the sun doesn't shine, and ran out of the hallway completely forgetting what I came here for.

~ end of flash back~

"So that's why you were crying all the way home?" Henry asked

"How'd you know I was crying?" I asked.

 I kept wiping my eyes in the car and facing away from both my dad and Henry while sitting in the back seat.

"You are my best friend I know these things about you." he said smiling " but I guess I didn't know you enough to realize what that jerk did to you, I'm so sorry Amanda I feel so guilty." and this was why I loved this kid, he never thought about himself always others and took the blame for things that were never even close to being his fault.

"Henry don't you dare blame yourself none of this was your fault!" I said getting a little angry. "Okay, what's the next question?" I said trying to change the subject and I guess it worked.

"Uh okay did you umm err," he says not making eye contact with me and began playing with the hem of his shirt. This was either one of two things he was embarrassed or nervous. And I could've sworn I saw red light up his face so I'm guessing he's embarrassed.

"Okay did you uh ever get checked out?" he asked vaguely.

"What?" I asked.

"like um checked for uh STD's," he said struggling to speak, feeling uncomfortable about the subject matter.

"yeah I err did I'm STD-free and I wasn't pregnant or anything, thankfully," I said looking down. I hear him give out a sigh of relief.

I let out a small laugh. "Okay, last question?" I ask him.

"oh yeah does Dad know?" he asks referring to my dad.

"No, he only knows it was a rough break up nothing else."

"I think you should tell him, he deserves to know Amanda."

"I know but, it's been so long, and I don't need him worrying about me like that. I might tell him about the physical abuse when I'm ready though." I said truthfully.

"Okay, you don't have to I don't want to pressure you into anything and I really don't want you to have to relive anything you don't need to," he says to me.

I can't take it anymore and I get up and hug him.

"I love you so much Henry, you're an amazing best friend."

"I love you too Mandy, and more like sister," he said and I laughed a little.

"Anyways do you want to go back now?"

"Wait you like Carter right?"

"Um, whats with the sudden inquiry I thought you only had three questions?" I said attempting to deflect.

"Aw she's blushing you do like him," he exclaims a little too loudly for my liking.

"Shut up Henry." I say "And who do you like you never did tell me." I say smirking.

"You already know who I like, don't make me say it." he pleads.

"Huh, I don't know what you're talking about," I said grinning.

"You already know I like Kelly," he said blushing.

"I knew it, I'm going to hook you guys up." I said grinning evilly "Call me matchmaker,".

"Whatever matchmaker," he says smirking.

"That's Ms. Matchmaker to you, mister," I add waggling my finger at him.

He grabbed my hand and led me into the other locker room.

But before we went in I pulled Henry back.

"Thanks, Henry,".

"For what."

"Being there for me," I said smiling.

And he pulled me in for a huge bear hug that he's famous for.

________________________________________________________________________________