Chapter 1

"Damn you! Damn it move!", cursed Sanaya as she weaved her car through the line of traffic on the streets of Kolkata. This car just wouldn't move and she was frustrated. She looked at her car and cursed again. "Hello, mom.", she said after answering the call. "I know mom I'm coming! You can't expect me to leave work and rush to you in the middle of the day and combat the traffic. Now I have to go. Bye." She sighed after she finally got through the traffic and sped home. She was angry. Her mother knew no bounds! She had been in a meeting with her subordinates about the wedding of one of the leading industrialists of the country at their hotel when her assistant rushed in to say that her mother had called and there was a family emergency and she was to go home immediately. Without any further thought she had called her boss and asked for leave and left the hotel while calling her mother. It turned out that there was no family emergency but a possible suitor was coming to their house to see her. It was unbelievable! The nerve of her mother! Ever since she turned 25 her mother was hell bent on getting her married! Surely, she was not that old yet! She parked her car and got out of the car. She went inside and found her mother in the kitchen. Sanaya started," I can't believe you did this! I've told you so many times mom that I'm not ready to be married. And -" "Yes, we'll talk about this later honey, please go and get dressed. And fix your hair. They're due in 30 minutes!", her mother interrupted. Fuming, Sanaya went up to her bedroom and made sure to slam the door shut. Very mature, Sanaya. Wonder what your subordinates would say if they saw their executive manager behave in this manner? "Shut up.", she said to herself. Deciding that she needed a shower she quickly went inside the washroom. After half an hour she heard the doorbell ring just as she was putting the final touches to her kohl. At least they're punctual. I hate tardiness. She looked at herself in the mirror and found a young woman staring back at her. She was wearing a fuchsia saree with silver embroidery and her long light brown hair was currently done up in a fishtail braid. She had pale skin with a slim figure and towered over most women at 5 ft 9 inches as Indian women were generally not overly tall. She pinched her cheeks to get some colour in them just as her mother called her from downstairs. She took a deep breath and made her way downstairs. She kept her eyes downcast, not because she was expected to but because she was suddenly feeling shy. She went and sat next to her mother on the sofa just as a woman said, " Hello, Sanaya, I'm Mrs. Roy, Ajay's mother. " Sanaya's head jerked up at that name and all the blood drained from her face as she looked at the guy staring at her in a dumbfounded manner. She was sure she looked the same. "Ajay. ", she breathed quietly as the ability to speak deserted her.