Chapter 11

Ajay's P.O.V :-
Ajay had not spoken to Sanaya after that night except "good morning" and "good night" texts. Sanaya replied to them, which had surprised him. Seven years ago, she would not reply to his texts after they had a fight, but he reminded himself that she was not the same person. They both had matured. Grown up. He, himself, was a brat seven years ago. He blamed her for everything, refused to apologise and was extremely arrogant. Despite all this, Sanaya fell in love with him. She never complained. Never demanded anything. She was happy if he just gave her time. He wondered what had made him leave her and go back to his ex girlfriend. They had broken up just after a month of trying. It never works. He had regretted leaving Sanaya then but was too ashamed and proud to go back to her and apologise. Her number hadn't changed till now. He had, however changed his number. He wondered what this marriage would be like. He was adamant about making her trust him, if possible, to make her see that he truly had changed and was capable of loving and respecting her. He sighed and picked up his phone to call Sanaya. It was the day before the wedding and he was being asked lots of questions about her and the goings on at her house. He had given vague answers but now he seriously needed to talk to her. He wondered whether she would pick up. She received and he let out the breath he hadn't realised he was holding. He said, "hey, are you busy? " Sanaya said, "what do you expect? It's the day before my- our wedding. I'm obviously not going to be lazing around in bed." She was still angry. Ajay said," you're right. That was a stupid question. I called you to ask about some things I'm being asked by my relatives. " She said, "What things? " Ajay asked her about the plans of that evening and even told her his plans. About his bachelor party that his friends were taking care of and informed her of the venue and what time he would be going and returning so that she wouldn't be at a loss if her relatives asked her about him. She told him that she had just returned home after being at the parlour since morning and was getting ready for the mehendi she would be applying on her hands. Her close friends and family were invited for a small get together. All her female cousins would also be applying mehendi. She told him that as a result she wouldn't be able to receive his calls or respond to his messages till the time the mehendi dried and she took it off her hands. After this he said, "Have fun. By the way, Sanaya, did you finish packing? " She said, "It's almost done. I'll take care of the rest before I go to sleep. " Ajay hesitantly said, "Okay. Try to get some sleep. We both have a hectic schedule for the next three days. " Sanaya didn't say anything for a long time and he checked his phone to see whether she had cut the call. Then she said,"Of course. Thank you so much. You take care too.Have fun tonight and miss me. I have to go now. Bye." He was so shocked that he couldn't reply. He didn't need to. She had already ended the call. He gaped at his phone for a couple of minutes before he got a message from Sanaya. The message said, "Don't get your hopes up. I saw my mother standing at the door through the mirror and pretended as if I didn't know she was there. " He sighed. He knew it was too good to be true.
***
A while later, his own mother entered his room and told him to sit down beside her on his bed. He obliged and she said, "You're going to start a new life tomorrow. Sanaya is a great girl. I think you both will be very happy with each other. This is an arranged marriage so it will take time to get to know each other. Be patient and remember, the key to a successful relationship is understanding. Your personal life and your professional life should be kept apart and you need to compromise and make sacrifices for a marriage to work. That is very important. She's coming to your house leaving behind her family. You need to make her feel welcome and comfortable here because this is her home from now. We are her family and we will also do our best but you are her husband. You need to take care of her more than we do. You have my blessings. Your father insists on talking to you alone though I don't know what he will say that I haven't. Go and meet him in our room." Ajay touched his mother's feet and hugged her before going to meet his father. His father said the same thing as his mother and also told him to be patient. Very patient. He was extremely overwhelmed by his parents' words so he went to the terrace and thought about their words for a long time before going down and getting dressed for his bachelor party.
***