Chapter 8

I woke up. With my eyes still worn out because of yesterday night. I felt my phone on the table at the right side of my bed. I grabbed it and checked for any message. There was none. I was expecting that Ash would've texted me by now. Then I remembered, she's still asleep.

I got up in bed and had breakfast. My phone unexpectedly vibrated. Dad was calling. Seeing this currently made me the happiest son on earth. It was an arduous journey, not having my father here with me. But having even a second to talk to him makes me lighthearted and more than contented.

I awaited to hear my Dad's voice. "Hello. Are you Hayes Arquiza? The son of Mr. Joey Arquiza?" But a strange and unusual voice spoke.

"Yes, it's me. Why? Who are you? Where's my dad?"

A lot of questions running in my mind.

"I'm Dr. Sparks. Unfortunately, your father suffered from a heart attack."

"What?! When? Just now?!", I panicked.

"At 3:30pm. He was in his office when it happened. His colleague brought him here at around 5:30pm. He is currently in the emergency room of a hospital here in Newark, New Jersey."

"Okay."

I hang up.

FUCK. THIS. LIFE.

I'm going to see my dad. I booked for a flight later at 9:30pm. I need to see him straightaway.

FUCK. Why does this have to happen?

I proceeded back to my room and packed my things. I called Zach, Bri, Jack, and of course, Mark in a conference call.

"Woah dude. I didn't know you could like talk to us all in just one call.", Zach nattered while being amazed.

"Are you like a caveman or something or you're just dumb?", Brian inquired of Zach.

"Sup guys! Why'd you call us, Hayes? Whyyyy?" Mark wanted to know so badly.

"Hey everbody! What did I miss?", Jack finally spoke.

"Nothin'. We just askin' him what he wants to tell us.", Zach answered.

"Oh. What is it, Hayes? TELL US!!", Jack demanded.

"Okay! Uhm.. I'm travelling to New Jersey later."

"WHAT?!", they said altogether.

"My dad suffered from a heart attack. I'm just leaving for the week, maybe. I promise I'll come back soon."

"Does Sam know about this?", Brian asked.

"No, I haven't told her yet."

"Does Ashley know about this?", Zach asked.

"Nope. I'm supposed to tell her after you guys."

"Oh, okay."

"Let's not go to school today.", Jack proposed.

"What? Are you crazy?!" I totally disapproved Jack's suggestion. This is my problem. This shouldn't bother them.

"No, Jack's right. We're going with you." Mark supported him.

Oh come on so no one's listening to me now?

"Yeaaaah!! Woooh!!" Brian is so excited.

"I'll pay for the fare.", Mark offered.

"Cool.", Zach remarked.

"Okay. Let's do it. Let's book a flight to New Jersey.", Jack said.

"DONE!", Mark shouted.

"What? No! What the fuck guys.", I objected.

"Yeah. Okay. We're sorry. We won't come.", Mark apologized.

Good.

"Okay bye!!", Brian shouted loudly. Loud enough to make me distance my phone from my ear.

Mark hang up. Then Brian, Zach, and finally, Jack.

Me: Hey

Sam: Heyaaaaaaaaa

Me: I'm going to New Jersey tonight.

Sam: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat the hell?!

Me: I know. But Dad's sick, somebody has to take care of him ya know.

Sam: Leave him to the doctors. Stay here.

Me: Fuck you.

Sam: Hahaha just kiddin. I know how much you love Dad.

Yeahp. She calls him dad too.

Me: You'll just miss me that's why you don't want me to go.

Sam: Yeah

Sam: Wait what?

Sam: Noooo

Me: Hah you're caught!

Sam: Whatever. You love me.

That line never gets old. Because I know I do, and I'll always will. And no matter how many girls I meet, she'll still be my favorite, the most important one among all.

Sam: Take care. Don't be such an ass there huh? I love you.

I felt my heart beat fast.

Me: Love you more.

But the feeling isn't that cheesy anymore and I feel like some of the butterflies just died. I'm not sure about that. But I'm pretty sure that the feeling's starting to fade. I don't know how or why. Maybe because I'm starting to realize she loves me, but only as a friend. I really have no idea. I just know it's slowly fading.

I began to pack the stuff I'll be bringing. I need more clothes for the cold weather there. I have to go shopping. But ew, I don't do that. That's like a stupid girl thing. That's Sam's thing. Why do girls even like wasting money on shitty clothes? I'll never understand them. However, even if it is against my will, I'll still have to go clothes shopping if I don't wanna freeze to death in America.

The Philippines is a tropical country, so I kinda got used to hot weather, beaches everywhere and the sun all around you wherever you go. Going to America is new to me because I've been there too a few times, but in Miami, California, New York, and Las Vegas to visit my relatives and also to have a vacation.

So I remembered. My car is at Ashley's place.

-

I pressed the doorbell. Fuck. She's at school, I remembered. Why am I so out of myself when I'm thinking about her.

Ugh. I stepped backwards, and I fell. Fuck. What kind of misfortune is brought to me? Ughhh. "Fuck this life.", I murmured.

"AAAAAAAH!", I roared, released all my madness.

Her maid opened the door. "Are you alright?", she asked.

"Yeah. Sorry." I got embarassed and walked away, towards my car.

I opened it and sat down pleasantly on the driver's seat and drove myself to the mall.

I texted Ash about my dad and that I wouldn't be spending time with her these days. I'm damn sorry. I'll be breaking my promise. I said I will hang out with her this weekend. But I fucked up.

Me: I'm sorry, Ash. I didn't expect this to happen. I'm really sorry. Damn, motherfucking sorry.

She wasn't replying, so I flooded her with 50 I'm sorry :( text messages.

I shopped for clothes and finished. I looked at my phone and nevertheless, there was no response.

I led myself back to her house. I had shopped for a few hours so she might be home by this time.