12 School Dance

Lash stood with Speed in the school gym, the homecoming dance in full swing. The lights spinning, the music just loud enough where everyone couldn't hear each other. It was a lot of preparation for one night. He kept his hands in his pockets, searching the crowd. He hadn't seen Angel come in yet, so he scanned the scene for anyone to mess with in the meantime.
He saw Mr. Boy at the snack table, keeping an eye on the punch bowl and handing out drinks while he was at it. Snickering, Lash stretched his arm out just as the teacher was about to hand a cup of punch to Layla. He flicked it up making Mr. Boy spill the red punch all over himself, laughing with Speed as he brought his hand back.

They high fived and started looking for something else to do when Lash saw Angel walk in with her sister. She looked gorgeous from head to toe. Her hair was curled and pinned back, every strand in place despite the fact that she flew there. She wore a black, backless dress which allowed her wings to be free for the night. The short skirt of the dress was black and white striped, matching his shirt. She wore heeled boots to finish it all off.

He left Speed to approach her, noticing the charm bracelet on her wrist. He took that hand and brought it to his lips, kissing her knuckles. He smirked at her. "You did this on purpose."

"What can I say?" she asked, twirling and showing off her dress. "It was perfect."

He smiled at her and pulled her over to the crowd of dancing people. He at least wanted one dance with her before they had to leave the gym. The Commander and Jetstream weren't there yet, hopefully giving them enough time for at least one song. He watched her move to the music, bobbing her head and shaking her hips. She grabbed his hands to make him move more.

Then a slow song came on and they stopped, looking at each other. He put his arm on her waist and pulled her close, taking her hand into his. She laid her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. "Your dad is staring me down," he mumbled to her.

She looked up and over at her father, then rolled her eyes. "Probably wishing you'd whisk me away and never return me." She closed her eyes again. "Is he still looking?"

He hummed and shook his head. "No, he's watching your sister now. She's talking to some sidekicks. But you won't have to worry about him after tonight."

"Right," she mumbled and smiled. It fell before she asked her next question. "What does that gun of Gwen's do exactly?"

"Don't know," he said. He shrugged and looked down at her, seeing the look on her face stay the same. "Hey, we have nothing to worry about. So long as we do our part, it'll all work out."

"Yeah, but Lash, she hasn't told us anything," she said, meeting his eyes. "Don't you think it's a little weird that her, Speed, and Penny know everything and we don't?"

He stared at her, eyebrows coming together. "A little, I guess."

There was a sudden spotlight put on the entrance of the gym and they both knew that was their cue. He took her hand and they snuck away as the crowd was distracted with welcoming the Commander and Jetstream, the guests of honor. The noise became softer once they were outside of the gym. He leant on the wall as Penny and Speed joined them.

It didn't take long before the screaming started. The group took their positions. As students began running to the exits, they pulled down the rolling gates and locked them. Angel flew up to grab the gate and threw it down. Penny smiled and waved to the crowd as they screamed and yelled for help. They started banging on the gates, begging, but Penny and Speed ran off.

Still slightly elevated off the ground, Angel saw over the crowd. She watched Royal Pain turning the crowd into babies. She looked at Lash as he watched the same thing she was. She grabbed his hand, catching his attention. "Lash?"