07 Work Together

The following morning, Angel left for school before her sister did. She got there on an early bus, not feeling like flying after the long night she'd spent in the clouds. She went straight to her locker, which was actually Lash's locker, and put all her stuff inside. She waited there a while until Lash appeared. He smirked at her and leaned against the locker. "You're here early."

"I know. Someone should take a picture of this momentous occasion," she said and rolled her eyes. She rolled her shoulders and took off her jacket, extending her wings down the hall.

Lash stared at them, still as amazed by them as if it were the first time he saw them. "I'll never get tired of that."

She looked at him with a raised eyebrow, then shook her head. "Look, I need to interview an upperclasssman for a stupid assignment in Heroism 101. You wanna be my interviewee?"

He put a hand over his heart as if he were touched. "I'd be honored." He chuckled. "I remember having to do that. It sucked."

"Well, we can go to my place tonight and just get it all done in one go," she said, stretching her arms out over her wings and fluffing them up. "My family won't be home."

"Oh really?" he asked her, gaining a little smirk.

"Yeah, Cammie is going over to Gwen's to study and dad is working late." She looked at him. "Don't look at me like that. This is purely a homework thing."

"Sure it is," he said teasingly. She threw her jacket at him, throwing it over his head. He pulled it off and glared at her. "Come here."

She backed up and shook her head. When he stretched his arms out to her, she tried to run away, but he caught her and wound his arms around her, pulling her back. She tried to use her wings to create resistance, but it didn't work. He pulled her in and grinned once he had her close. "Got ya."

"Okay, and? What now?" she asked, tilting her head.

There was a sickened noise behind them, making the two turn their heads. Speed was making obnoxious and loud gagging noises. "You two need to get a room already."

"No room needed," Angel said, wriggling in Lash's grip to make him let her go. He looked at her, frowning a bit at her answer. He retracted his arms from around her and she put her arms up to stretch. "Well, I have to get going. Medulla gave me an extension on my research paper, so I should go turn that in."

"See ya," Speed said, opening his locker as she walked away. Lash watched her go before turning to his locker. He put her jacket inside and sighed. "Dude, I told you, she's never gonna be into you."

Lash slammed his locker shut. "It just takes time. That's all."

Speed clapped a hand on his back almost sincerely, but didn't say anything else.

~

After lunch, the sweet, less than angelic laughter of Angel Hartley rang through the air as she watched Lash shove Zach into their locker. She clapped at the sheer excitement of it as the locker door was shut. She dropped her smile when she saw Ethan running away. "Hey, he's getting away!"

Ethan turned the corner, alarm written across his face as he looked at his friends. "Will!" he shouted, just before Lash grabbed him and pulled him back to the row of lockers. Along with Speed, he proceeded with the same process of shoving the sidekick into the locker.

Will and Layla came rushing down the hall, Will coming between the friends to help his own. "Whoa whoa whoa, hey. Come on, buddy. Easy guys."

They let Ethan go and lent against the lockers. Angel attempted to stretch her wings in order to hide the glow coming from within her locker, but Will seemed to have a keen eye. "Zach, too."