1.20

The team was waiting for Tony and me when we got downstairs. The Hulk was shifting his feet, obviously the most impatient of the bunch. Clint and Natasha were leaning against the wall, the latter of the two holding Loki's battered sceptre. Steve, almost as impatient as the Hulk, was gripping his shield tightly. Thor was standing in a nearby doorway, staring at the someone embedded in the floor. None of them questioned what had taken us so long. I was grateful.

I felt Tony brush his armored hand against mine when we took the final few steps. I sighed at his touch, feeling much lighter than I'd felt in ages.

I felt myself smile, a genuine smile, and I walked past the Avengers with purpose. "So,"

I slipped by Thor, meeting Loki's eye as he was in the midst of climbing up a set of mini-stairs. The team followed behind me as I stopped in front of the man. They all glared at the man, daring him to make a move. Clint knelt on the floor in front of me, aiming an arrow at his head.

Meanwhile, I gave Loki the cheekiest smirk I possibly could. "Who here is the petulant child, Loki, refusing to give up his 'happy' ending?"

His face washed over with confusion; the words I shot back at him having been from a failed loop that he would never remember.

I sighed a bit in disappointment. "Inside joke."

'That would have been so cool.....'

He just nodded slowly before glancing at each of us. Then, in a raspy voice, he said, "If it's all the same to you, I'll have that drink now."

It was only silent for a moment, and it ended when I snorted.

"All right," Tony said, a chuckle leaving through at my reaction. "Get him on his feet. We can all stand around posing up a storm later."

I laughed incredulously, shaking my head. I approached the guy without hesitation, pulling him up roughly by one of the shoulder pieces on his armor. "It's a little late for a drink, buddy. You owe New York a time-out."

I pulled him off to the side. Thor met me there rather quickly with a set of handcuffs and immediately pulled his brother's arms towards himself.

"So,"

I turned to Nat.

"Who gets the, uh, magic wand?" She shook the sceptre in her hands gently, glancing between me, Tony, and Steve.

Steve sent her a nod, subtly shifting into military mode. "S.T.R.I.K.E. team's coming to secure it."

It was only seconds after the answer that the elevator beeped and the doors opened. A group of men flooded into the room and spread out. Something felt a bit off, but I brushed it off; I didn't know S.H.I.E.L.D. like the rest of the team did, and they trusted these men. Plus, I was just tired. Any suspicions I had could wait.

"We can take that off your hands."

One of the men's voices shook me out of my thoughts, and I watched as Nat handed him the scepter.

"By all means." She sent him an amused grin when he looked at the dents and scratches. "I just hope you'll be more careful with that than Jamie was."

"Yeah," Clint chuckled, pouring a drink for Nat and himself from Tony's bar. "Unless you want your mind erased. And not in a fun way."

"We promise to be careful." Another agent opened a case, and the first gently placed the scepter inside.