Part 11

I would have very much liked to never see either of them again, actually.

But Mrs. Dustin came over on Saturday and, naturally, Mom told her to bring Matthew. She could have just drank her coffee and left, but she stayed all afternoon.

"You two can play together."

I moaned. "Hang out."

And before I knew it, Matthew and I were biking around the neighborhood.

"It's kinda exhausting, going the same way every time."

"Wanna change it up?"

I couldn't help myself. "Where's Ava's house?"

Matthew quickly glanced at me then looked away, as if seeing something particularly ugly. "Two streets over."

"Let's ask her to bike with us."

"No."

I didn't know why I'd asked. Seeing Ava was the last thing I wanted, all while itching to see her. But there was a secret to Matthew I just couldn't quite figure out.

"But she's your girlfriend."

He merely shrugged, as if this mattered very little to him.

A possibility dawned on me. "You don't even like her, do you?"

"What's it to you?" he shot back.

"You shouldn't date her if you don't!"

For awhile he stayed silent. But, he slowly gained a look of anger in his face.

"Don't tell me what I should and shouldn't do. You've probably never even had a boyfriend, and I'd be surprised if you ever-"

I felt stabbed. Without another word, I turned around and went home.