1

Demi's POV

A few months ago, I decided to slow my career down for a little while. I had just gotten off tour, and I needed a break. I don't plan to completely stop. Someday, I'll get back to the top of my career, but I feel like I have another calling. I don't know where it came from. It started in the middle of the tour, when I saw so many kids around. It made me think of how many kids there were in the world, and how some aren't as lucky as others. Then I had the urge to help those kids. I decided on using my house as a foster home. I wanted to be a foster parent.

It took a few months to get everything worked out, but I'm finally certified. The agency said that a few months was actually very quick to become certified.

Now that I've been waiting for a while, I finally got a call from a social worker. Four little girls, ages 5-9, needed a foster home. Their other foster mom had just quit for some reason.

They'll be here in just a couple of days, and I'm so excited. My first foster children. There's only four, not too much to handle.

I wasn't going to get their information until they came, so I couldn't read about them. I didn't know what they liked, so it was hard setting up rooms. My house is so big, they'll all be able to have their own rooms.

I know nothing about the girls. I don't know they're names or personalities. I know the age range, but I don't know who is how old. I don't know anything. A few days isn't too long, so I'll find out soon enough. Now, all I have to do is wait.

--

The days passed slower than what I thought they would. I'm just so excited to meet my first foster children. The closer the time came, the more nervous I was getting. I really hope they like me.

Finally, right before dinner, my doorbell rang. I opened my door to reveal a middle-aged woman. "Ms. Lovato?" She asked.

"Yes," I responded.

"Hi, I'm Mindy, the girls' social worker."

"Oh, hi, nice to meet you in person."

"You, too. You were right, you're house is plenty big enough," Mindy said as she gazed up at my house.

"Right, so where are the girls?" I asked a little confused.

"Oh, right, they must still be in the car. They were a little nervous." Mindy looked behind her and I saw the car she was talking about. I saw one girl's head looking out the window. Mindy waved the girls over, and they started to file out of the car. I counted all four. They were all holding hands as they walked up to my front door. "Okay, girls, this is Ms. Lovato." I smiled at them. One of them, the smallest one, smiled back, but once she noticed no one else was, her smile dropped.

"Come on in," I said as I moved out of the door way. It was too hot outside to be standing out there. Mindy walked in, then the four girls. The only one who looked at me was that little one, but she didn't smile this time. "Take a seat," I said as I motioned towards my couch.

"Girls, go ahead and sit, I'm on a tight schedule, so I'll be leaving soon. Ms. Lovato, if I could speak to you alone outside," Mindy said.

Great. I brought them in to get away from the summer heat.

I followed Mindy outside, and shut the door behind me, leaving the girls on my couch.

"Okay, just a few things you should know. No one is allergic to anything. They get along most of the time. Once Kacie gets to know you better, she won't want to leave your side. That won't take long to happen. And you have to encourage Sammi to eat. She won't want to on her own," she rambled on. "Now, I really have to go. I'm running late for a meeting with another foster parent," Mindy said as she started jogging to her car.

"Wait, which ones are Kacie and Sammi?" I called to her.

"They'll introduce themselves," she called back as she got in her car and took off.

After I watched Mindy disappear, I went back inside. "Okay," I began as I walked into my living room where I had left the girls, who were sitting patiently. "Um, first thing, you can call me Demi. Please not Ms. Lovato, I'm not your boss or anything." All I got were blank stares. "Well, Mindy didn't really tell me very much, so I don't know your names or ages, or really anything." Again, blank stares.