17

Abby's POV

When I woke up, my arms were still wrapped around Sammi. I looked down at her tear-stained face. She doesn't like to talk about what happens in her dreams, but you don't have to know exactly what happened to know that it was bad. I felt so bad for her. It just wasn't fair. A few minutes after I woke, Haley dragged her feet into my room. I put my finger up to my mouth and pointed to Sammi, letting Haley know she was still asleep. She didn't react. She kept dragging her feet to the other side of my bed and climbed in next to me so I was in between them. 

"What's wrong?" I whispered. She didn't respond, she just closed her eyes like she was about to go back to sleep. I felt her forehead, and she definitely felt warm. I kissed her forehead and wrapped an arm around her, leaving my other arm around Sammi. I didn't want to disturb either of them, so I just laid in bed awake.

A little while later, Demi came in carrying Kacie on her hip. She was about to say something, but she smiled at the scene. "What's this?" She asked quietly.

"Sammi had a bad dream, and I don't think Haley feels very well." After I spoke, Sammi started to stir and she slowly fluttered her eyes open and looked up at me. I smiled down at her, and she gave me a weak, tired smile. She then noticed the one on the other side of me and gave me a confused look.

Demi walked over to the bed and put Kacie down. She felt Haley's forehead like I had done, which cause Haley to start to wake up. She snuggled closer to me without opening her eyes, and I wrapped my arm tighter around her. "She does feel a little warm. I'll go find the thermometer." Demi left and Kacie followed her. Sammi sat up in my bed and watched as Demi came back in. "Haley, put this under your tongue, baby." Haley, without opening her eyes, opened her mouth. Demi placed the thermometer under her tongue, And Haley reached up to hold it. A while later, it beeped and Demi took it from Haley. "Yup. 101. One of our little ones is sick." Haley whined and buried her head in my chest like Sammi had done the night before. I wrapped both of my arms around her and kissed the top of her head. She always hates being sick. "Breakfast is ready."

"Ready to eat?" I asked Haley. She whimpered and shook her head. "It might help you feel better."

"I can get medicine to bring that fever down," Demi added.

"We'll be down in a minute," I told Demi.

"Alright. Come on, girls." Demi, Sammi, and Kacie went to the kitchen, and I started to sit up and try to get Haley up.

"I'm not hungry," Haley whispered, finally opening her eyes.

"I know, but you aren't going to get better if you don't eat."

Haley sighed and got out of bed with me. We both settled down in our seats in the kitchen, where the other three were waiting. Everyone began eating, but I had to keep encouraging Haley to eat. Everyone was done, and I took mine and Haley's plate to the sink. We all settled on the couch, and Demi turned on Disney channel. After a few minutes, Haley got up and rushed to the bathroom. I was followed her and watched as she had to lean over the toilet. I sat on my knees behind her and held her hair back. I'm pretty sure all of her breakfast ended up in the toilet bowl. Once she was done and leaned back on me and started to cry. I stroked her hair and picked her up, placing her on my hip. She's seven, but she's small. I flush the toilet and help her wash her face. I then wet a washcloth and place it on her forehead. I turn around to see Demi watching in the doorway.

"I'm glad you're here because I have never taken care of a sick a sick child before."

I shrugged. "I had to learn pretty quickly. Some of our house parents weren't very good at it."

I carried Haley with her head on my shoulder and the washcloth on her forehead back to the couch with Demi. It's going to be a long day.

Thank you Jazz1482 for suggesting that the girls get sick. I'm still deciding whether all of them will be sick or not.

Keep commenting on what should happen :) don't worry, I'm not ignoring all of those previous comments.

Thanks for reading!