25

Demi's POV

I was still so upset with how little time I had for the adoption process. I can't let them go.

It was around Dinner time, and I decided to take the girls out, as I didn't feel like cooking. I go into Kacie's room to find it empty. I try Sammi's and it's empty as well. Then I look in Haley's, where all three have their backs turned. It looked like Sammi and Kacie were helping Haley gather all of her things, and putting them in bags.

"What's going on?" I asked, making all three turn their heads to face me. All of them had red faces and puffy eyes. Kacie was still wiping tears off of her cheeks. "Haley, why are you packing?" I asked. I received no answer from her. She just continued to stare at me with her tear stained face. "Why are y'all packing?"

"You don't want us anymore," Kacie said before sniffling.

"What? Who said that?"

"Abby told us," Sammi said.

They all three turned around and continued to pack. I left to go to Abby's room. She was throwing things into her suit case, her face also stained with tears.

"Abby," I began.

She looked up at me. "You liar!"

"Okay, I don't know what's going on, but-"

"You made me believe that you actually cared. I trusted you!"

"Can you please tell me-"

"You just wanted the money."

"Can I finish a sent-"

"You're just like everyone else," she mumbled.

"Are you going to let me talk?" I asked with my hands on my hips. I was irritated with not being able to say a complete sentence before being interrupted.

"I don't care what you have to say," Abby said. "I already heard enough, asshole."

"Woah, okay, stop right there. I will not tolerate that kind of language. You have no right to call me that," I said in a strict tone. She really took me by surprise with that one.

"It doesn't matter, you're sending us back anyway." Abby continued to throw stuff into her suitcase.

"What makes you think that?" I asked. I was so confused.

"Well I'll just send them back tomorrow," she said in a mocking tone. "Just send me the money."

I slapped my hand over my forehead. "Abby, I was on the phone with your social worker."

"Well, duh," she responded.

"It's not what you think. You didn't hear the whole conversation."

"I heard plenty."

"No, you don't understand. I was being sarcastic when I said that.  I'm not actually sending you back tomorrow."

"Why would you say that, then?" Abby asked. "Is this some kind of cruel joke?"

"No," I sighed. "Sit down, I'll explain." I say down on the bed and patted the spot next to me. Abby sat down. "I said that because I was frustrated that they were giving me less time to complete the adoption process."

"The what?" Abby asked, clearly confused.

"Abby, I'm trying to adopt you. All four of you. But the agency was going to relocate you in two months, so I had that long to go through the adoption process, which takes a long time. That call was your social worker telling me that they've changed your leaving date to one month from now, giving me less time."

"You want to adopt us?" Abby asked, still a little confused.

I nodded. "Yes. I can't imagine my life without you girls. I can't let you go."

"Oh," she said, guilt in her voice. "But, now you don't have enough time."

"Well, we're still working on that. I still have a chance." I placed my hand on top of her's. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I wanted it to be a surprise."

Abby sighed. "I'm sorry for reacting the way I did. I'm sorry for telling the girls to pack up."

"It's okay. Just let me explain myself first."

"And... I'm sorry for calling you an asshole."

I couldn't help but giggle a bit. "It's fine. I guess I did sound like one if you only heard that part."

"Yeah, you did. You sounded like a real bitch."

"Okay, stop," I said, letting out a small laugh. Abby smirked. "Just don't call me that ever again. Understand?"

"Yeah," Abby answered. I raised my eyebrows at her. "I mean, yes ma'am," she said with a smirk still present on her face.

"You don't teach those words to the girls do you?"

"Of course not," she answered.

"Good. How about we go get some dinner now?" Abby nodded and I stood up. She stood up with me and wrapped her arms around me, taking me a little by surprise.

We wet into Haley's room, but the girls were gone. We found them in Kacie's room, where they were helping her pack.

"You don't need to pack," I said to them.

"Don't listen to her, she's just an asshole," Kacie said, giving me a dirty look.

I raised my eyes and looked down at Abby.

"She might have heard it a couple times," Abby said with a shrug. "Kacie, that's not nice to say."

"But that's what you told us," Sammi said.

"I was wrong. I jumped to conclusions too quickly," Abby admitted.

"So, we aren't leaving tomorrow?" Kacie asked hesitantly.

"Nope," Demi answered. "It was all just a big misunderstanding."

"Oh," Kacie said. "Sorry for calling you the A-word."

I had to chuckle at her. "It's fine, just don't say it again." Kacie nodded. "Now who's ready for dinner?"

So this is the first book that I actually used curse words in. I keep my stories pretty clean. I know I used it like twice before near the beginning of this book, but that's it.

Fun fact, I have actually never cursed out loud in my entire life :) (It does get tempting, though)

How did you like this chapter? I love feedback!

Thanks for over 11k reads!