19

Demi's POV

We got to the doctor's, and I helped the girls out of the car. "I can take her if you're tired of holding her," I offered.

"It's fine, I don't mind," Abby replied, carrying Haley on her hip. Abby sat down while I checked Haley in. They got us into a room right away. A nurse checked Haley's height and weight, which caused her to stand. She didn't like it, but she cooperated. The nurse also checked her temperature, oxygen, blood pressure, and few other things.

"Okay, the doctor will be here shortly," she said before leaving.

I watched as Haley snuggled into Abby, who gently stroked her hair. It amazed me how caring Abby knew how to be at such a young age. I'm pretty sure she'd be a better mother than a lot of others out there, and she's only nine. She had to grow up too fast.

Several minutes later, the doctor entered. "Hello, I'm Dr. Graham. And we are looking at," he looked down at his papers, "Haley?"

"Yes. She woke up this morning with a fever, and her fever just kept rising. She's been sleeping for most of the day," I informed him.

"How is her appetite?"

"Not good. She's had to have a lot of encouragement to eat, and it never stays down."

The doctor wrote something on his clipboard before returning his attention back to us. "Okay Haley, let's get you up on here," he said, patting the patient table. "And we'll get you checked out." Haley didn't want to let go of Abby, so she continued to just hold her hand. He listened to her heart rate and lungs. "She's breathing fine." He did the regular check up routine. "Haley, does your throat hurt?" She nodded. I had no idea her throat was hurting her. The doctor checked her sinuses. "Okay, it looks to be the flu. Nothing too serious, but she will need lots of rest. The throwing up is coming from the high fever. I can get you something to lower her fever so she can keep her food down. She'll get better over time. Is she around any other kids?"

"Just this one and two others," I answered, gesturing to Abby.

"How old are the other two?"

"Five and eight."

"Okay, just limit the contact she has with them. If one of them has a low immune system, they can easily catch this."

"Abby, do you?" I asked.

"Not really. Kacie has a little bit of a weak immune system, but Sammi's the one that gets sick a lot."

"I suggest that she doesn't come in contact with Haley until she's over this. I'll go write the prescriptions."

The doctor left, and Haley crawled back into Abby's lap. "Did you hear that?" Abby asked softly to Haley. "He said you're going to be okay." Haley just nodded. "I told you that you had nothing to worry about." Haley nodded again and closed her eyes.

The doctor came back in and handed me her prescription papers. "I suggest you get those as soon as possible."

I thanked the doctor, and we left. I stopped by my pharmacy to drop off the prescriptions, and they told me to pick them up at six. That was about three hours away. "What do you think Kacie's going to do?" I asked Abby.

"She'll probably run straight up to you and not leave your side for the rest of the night."

We got home, and I helped the girls out of the car. Abby was right. As soon as I opened the door, Kacie was back to being stuck on my leg. "Thank you so much, Mom," I said, giving my mom a hug.

"No problem, anytime."

"How was this one?" I said, referring to Kacie.

"It took a little while, but I got her to calm down. They were both great. How's Haley."

"It's the flu. The doctor said it will pass with rest."

"Poor baby. Call me if you need any help. I know how sick kiddos can get."

"Actually, I think Abby has this under control. She's a little pro."

I talked with my mom for a few more minutes, Kacie never leaving my side.

"I better get going," my Mom said.

"Okay, thank you again."

"Anytime. Bye Sammi," she called into the living room. Sammi ran up and gave her a big hug. "Bye, Kacie." Kacie shyly waved, still holding on to my leg. We hugged one last time, and she left.

"You left me," Kacie pouted.

"But I came back."

Kacie shrugged and followed me to the couch. I guess Abby had taken Haley up to her room. Kacie crawled on my lap, and leaned her head back against my chest as we watched TV.