Chapter 12

The following morning, Ayanna woke up for school and saw her keys to her car on her dresser. Instead of picking them up she walked straight out of her room and toward the bathroom.

"The only reason you got your keys back is because I have to work late. I expect you to be home after school and no go anywhere else", said Brian.

Ayanna turned and looked at him. He was in his room looking for something on the dresser.

Ayanna didn't respond. She just went into the bathroom.

———

Once Ayanna got to school, she met up with Melissa.

"I haven't heard from you all weekend", said Melissa.

"I'm sorry, it's been a lot going on", said Ayanna.

"Boyfriend coming. I'll leave you two be", said Melissa as she started walking away.

"No don't—"

"Hey", said Corey as he walked to Ayanna.

Ayanna looked at him.

"Look I'm so sorry about my dad.", said Ayanna.

"It's cool", said Corey.

"It's not cool and that's why I think that this was a mistake and that we should go ahead and end this", said Ayanna.

"I don't think that should happen", said Corey.

"Well I do so just..please leave me alone okay?", said Ayanna.

"...I don't wanna force anything but I just hope that you're doing this because you truly don't wanna be with me and not because of your dad. If it's because of your dad, that means we have to miss out on what could've been the best moments of our life", he said. "Because honestly your dad told me to stay away from you, but I'm not unless I want to"

"...I don't wanna be with anybody right...I have a lot on my plate and mind and I can't do this", said Ayanna.

Corey nods. "Okay", he said. "Alright"

Ayanna could tell her was a little heart broken but tried to play it off.

"I'll see you around", he said.

"Yea", said Ayanna.

Corey walked away.

Ayanna walked to her class. She didn't wanna break up with him but she was embarrassed enough.

———

After school, Ayanna was walking to her car. She say Corey and she wave at him.

Corey looked away and didn't wave back.

Ayanna sighs and unlocks her car.

Suddenly someone next to her rolled their window down.

"Ayanna", they said.

Ayanna looked back and saw Vanessa.

"Vanessa?", said Ayanna.

Vanessa took her sunglasses off.

"Mrs. Mills told me that she told you what happened", said Vanessa.

"Yea", said Ayanna.

"So do you believe her?", asked Vanessa. "Because you should. Kendrick did not kill your mom. Kendrick would never hurt her. She was the love of his life."

Ayanna looked down.

"Your dad is not a good person", said Vanessa.

Ayanna looked at Vanessa.

"He said that you weren't either", said Ayanna.

"Your dad is a manipulator. He manipulated your mom, he's been manipulating you", said Vanessa. "That's what he does"

"If he was so bad, then why have I been with him? Why didn't you guys fight to put him away?", asked Ayanna. "If you guys think that he's such a killer, why is he not behind bars?"

"Because he played his cards right", said Vanessa. "One thing about life is it is best to have patience if you want something to happen the way it should or the way you want. It took 11 years for Alyssa to tell us what she told you guys. That helps us a lot. We weren't there so we don't have much to go off of....the only person who can really help your mom is you"

"Me?" Asked Ayanna. "If y'all couldn't do it, what makes you think I can?"

"Because you're his daughter. He has a soft spot for you...he'll admit it to you sooner or later", said Vanessa.

"Soft spot? You guys have no idea what I've had to deal with all these years", said Ayanna.

"I get that...but I promise you that he will.", said Vanessa. "I know this is extreme but we have to take other measures in order to get your dad to tell the truth"

"Extreme? Other measures? Like what?", asked Vanessa.

"We have to get him out of the house and somewhere where he can't get away—"

"Holding him hostage? How do you suppose we even do that? Nothing gets past him", said Ayanna.

"Oh..we have a person for that. She's a little crazy and I don't care for her but...she's useful right now", said Vanessa.

"I can't believe we're even talking about this", said Ayanna. "This is crazy"

"Crazy is her middle name", said Vanessa.

"No I mean this idea is crazy. He's not going to confess! Especially if you're holding him against his will...he's the chief of police. You think nobody will know that's he's gone?", asked Ayanna. "You guys will get locked up"

"I really don't care. I wanna say that I at least tried to get justice for my cousin and friend", said Vanessa. "I've waited 11 years too long because this way the only plan we could come up with"

Ayanna looked to the side.

"I get if you don't believe us but—"

"I do...I do believe you but you guys have to realize that my dad is a liar and a good one. He's a manipulator and he uses his authority to his advantage... we can't do this" said Ayanna.

"Do you want justice for you mom?", asked Vanessa.

"Of course but— but he's my— my dad", said Ayanna. "We butt heads and we may not be on the same page right now but he's all I have left. I know he has to feel bad about he does because every time I talk about mom I can see it in his eyes"

Vanessa didn't say anything.

"Just don't do anything until I so please. I just need to see where his head is first", said Ayanna.

"Fine. We'll wait", said Vanessa. "We need you anyways so I guess we're on your time"

Vanessa hands Ayanna her card.

"There's my number. Call me", said Vanessa.

"...okay", said Ayanna after she took the card.

"Have a good day at school?", asked Vanessa.

"It's was alright", said Ayanna. "But I have to go"

"Okay", said Vanessa.

Ayanna got into her car and sat there for a few minutes as Vanessa left.

TO BE CONTINUED...