Chapter 10

Ayanna and Corey pulled up to Ayanna's house.

Ayanna sat in the car for a moment as she looked at the house.

"You need me to go in with you?", asked Corey.

"What? No. Why would you need to do that?", asked Ayanna.

Corey shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know. You seem nervous or something", said Corey.

"Why would I be nervous? It's not like I hung up in his face last night", Ayanna said with sarcasm.

"No, because of what we were told a few hours ago", said Corey.

Ayanna looked out of the window and down the street at a car parked down the street on the side of the road.

Ayanna looked forward.

"I'm fine", she said before she got out of the car and walked in the house.

Brian heard the door open and came downstairs.

"It's about time", said Brian.

Ayanna didn't say anything.

"Look Ayanna I know what you saw and I just wanna apologize—"

"Why did you do it?", asked Ayanna. "To Her...mom...why?"

"...I'm an idiot. A jerk. I mean that's why I haven't been dating because I know how I get and I don't wanna do that anyone", said Brian.

"...dad...it's no excuses for how you put your hands on her", said Ayanna.

"You're right...that's why I'm apologizing", said Brian.

"I'm not the one you should be apologizing to", said Ayanna.

"You're right. You're absolutely right", said Brian.

Ayanna sat down in a chair.

"But still...I'm sorry to upset you", said Brian.

"...like I said...you're my dad at the end of the day. Can't look at you differently", said Ayanna.

Brian looked away for a moment.

"You remind me so much of your mom. I know I keep saying this but you do", said Brian. "I didn't treat her the best at all times but...she still saw something in me that I didn't...I just never got that chance to show her I could improve but instead I just took a hundred steps back after she died"

"...can you remind me how she passed away again?", asked Ayanna.

"You know she got kidnapped", said Brian.

"Yea but...but I wanna hear the story again. About how you almost saved her", said Ayanna.

"... well she called me and I could tell something was up. She didn't really say what..but when we were married we had a code word in case of emergencies. She said it on the phone...three times and I just came straight over. By the time I got there, your mom was gone and Kendrick was on his last breath. He told me to get the girls and that's when I came into the room with you guys", said Brian.

"I thought you saw the guys. I thought that you saw them shoot Kendrick", said Ayanna.

"Yea, yea. I did", said Brian. "It's a little fuzzy now. It's been 11 years"

Ayanna nods.

"But..then by the time they found your mom she was dead", said Brian.

Ayanna looked down.

"You love me and would do anything for me right?", asked Ayanna.

"Of course. No matter what", said Brian.

"So you'd always tell me the truth...no matter how bad it is right?", asked Ayanna.

"...sometimes are meant to be kept to ourselves", said Brian. "But if you need to know they of course...I'd tell you whatever it may be"

Ayanna looked at him.

"Then tell me what really happened to my mother", said Ayanna.

"Excuse me?", asked Brian. "I know Vanessa's ass didn't come and talk to you last night. We're getting another restraining order on her today"

"Why though?", asked Ayanna

"Because she's crazy", said Brian. "I've never seen a therapist with mental health issues"

"Crazy or is it something that she knows that you don't want me to hear", said Ayanna.

"Go upstairs", Brian said.

"No. I'm not a little girl anymore and this is my mom that weren't talking about and I think I deserve to know the truth about her", said Ayanna.

"I told you she was kidnapped", said Brian.

"But your story was a little different than before dad. Something isn't right", said Ayanna. "You're not telling me what actually happened"

Brian sighed.

"You know what...I didn't wanna tell you this but...something happened between Kendrick and Diamond. Kendrick tried to harm me so when Diamond tried to go to the police, he killed her. Then he killed himself", said Brian. "I didn't wanna tell you tell you this because I didn't want you to think of anybody differently but Kendrick did try to kill me"

Ayanna didn't say anything.

"I didn't do anything to them", said Brian.

"Who said you did? I didn't", said Ayanna said.

"I thought Vanessa came to talk to you. I thought that was what you were hinting at", said Brian.

"No", said Ayanna.

"Well.. either way you wanted the truth. There it is", said Brian.

Ayanna didn't reply.

"Now like I told you before..go upstairs", said Brian.

Ayanna shook her head.

"No", she replied.

"What's up with you being so defiant lately?", asked Brian. "Don't think just because you're about to be 18 that you're grown because you're not. You're still living under my roof and under my rules."

"You know what. Alright", Ayanna said before walking upstairs.

Brian shook his head and sat on the couch.

TO BE CONTINUED...