Chapter 24

Brian pulled up to a cliff. He didn't drive to the edge but he stopped some feet from it.

"Brian all I want you to do is confess...it's not that hard to do", said Diamond.

"Then I'll lose everything", said Brian.

"Brian you've already lost everything. Your wife, your job, and now your daughter", said Diamond.

Brian looked forward.

"So what if I just kill the both of us...when what?", asked Brian.

"Then I know you never loved me. You were ever man enough to face your responsibilities", said Diamond.

Brian put the car in drive but he didn't let go of the brake.

"Get out of the car", said Brian.

"...what are you going to do?", asked Diamond.

"Show you that I'm not mad enough", said Brian. "Take my phone, get out of the car, and call someone to come and get you"

Diamond looked down.

"I'm sorry for everything. I know I can't bring him back but if I could I would", he said. "...for you."

Diamond grabbed the phone and got out of the car. She didn't like when Brian spoke of Kendrick.

She took some steps back and looked at the car as Brian drove himself off of the cliff.

Diamond covered her mouth and started tearing up.

"Oh my gosh", said Diamond.

Diamond ran to the edge of the cliff and saw that the car was smashed up.

She took his phone and looked at the numbers to unlock the phone.

"Damn it", said Diamond.

He never told her his password.

Diamond took a guess and typed in the only password that she knew of him to have, her birthday. It was right.

She immediately called 911. Once she got out of the phone with 911, she called Vanessa.

"You have a lot of nerve calling me and -", said Vanessa.

"Vanessa? It's me", said Diamond.

"D- Diamond?", asked Vanessa.

Diamond started tearing up.

"Yes. Yes it's me", said Diamond.

"You got away from him? Where are the girls? Are they okay?", asked Vanessa.

"They're fine. They got away long before I did", said Diamond.

"Thank God", said Vanessa. "Where are they? Where are you?"

"I don't know where they are. Try checking Brian's house...I'm um...I'm in the woods. Brian he- he killed himself", said Diamond.

"Oh now it's time for a celebration", said Vanessa.

"Vanessa stop", said Diamond.

"What? You feel bad for him?", asked Vanessa.

"No. I free free from him finally...But still..don't that.", said Diamond.

"Yea you're right", said Vanessa.

"I called 911...I'll have them give me a ride to you. Go find the girls please", said Diamond.

"I will", said Vanessa.

"Bye", said Diamond.

"Bye", Vanessa replied.

Diamond hung of the phone and sat down against a tree as she waited.

———

4 MONTHS LATER

"Hey mom", said Ayanna as she sat next to Diamond in the bed.

"Hey, honey", said Diamond. "What's up?"

"So it's the last week of school and there's going to be this party", said Ayanna.

"Mhm, I'm listening", said Diamond.

"And um..I just wanted to know if I could go", said Ayanna.

"Well being that you barely go out because you act like you can't leave my side, I really want you to go. Have fun", said Diamond. "Just not too much fun. No drinking, no smoking weed...just don't do anything you wouldn't do around me. Oh and never take drinks from people. If you haven't seen it be made, there's no need for you to sip it. If you leave it unattended then throw it away."

"See this is why you should've been here all this time. Instead of you telling me not to go at all, you tell me what not to do when I get there", said Ayanna.

"You'll be on your own at some point and I won't be there all of the time...so I'm not going to stop you from having fun", said Diamond.

Ayanna smiled.

"Will Corey be there?", asked Diamond.

"Yes", Ayanna replied. "He's picking me up", said Ayanna.

"Stay close", said Diamond. "Not too close but you know what I mean"

Ayanna giggled. "Yea I know", said Ayanna.

Diamond smiled as she looked at her book.

Ayanna looked at Diamond's bookmark. It had a picture of Kendrick on it.

"I like this", said Ayanna.

Diamond looked at the bookmark.

"I wish he was here...I know you'd be ten times happier", said Ayanna.

"Yea but...at the end of the day I'm happier than ever because I have my girls", said Diamond as she hugged Ayanna.

"I love you, mom", said Ayanna. "Thank you for everything you've done for me"

"I love you more", said Diamond. "And it's my job"

Ayanna smiled and hugged her together.

THE END.

IF YOU WANNA READ MORE BOOKS BY ME, CHECK OUT MY LATEST BOOK CALLED,  "THE PROMISE"

You can find it on my profile ( @writtenbykalifa )