Chapter 20

While Brian was fixing breakfast, Diamond started praying. That's when Zara woke up.

Zara gasps as she sat up.

Diamond opened her eyes and looked at Zara.

"Hey baby it's okay, it's okay", said Diamond as she got to the ground even though her arm was pulled back by the handcuffs. "Everything is going to be okay"

"Who are you? Where am I? I want my grandma", said Zara.

Zara is currently 13 years right now.

"I'm...im you're mama", said Diamond.

"No you're not. My mom's dead", said Zara.

Diamond looked down. "I was kidnapped", said Diamond.

Alyssa and Ayanna started to wake up.

"Oh my god my head hurts", said Ayanna.

"I think my arm is broke", said Alyssa.

"What happened?", asked Diamond.

"We were driving and next thing I know somebody hit us", said Alyssa.

"Oh my gosh", said Diamond.

"I guess we know who that someone is", said Ayanna as she looked at the cuffs.

"Why do you only have one cuff on?", asked Alyssa.

"Because he trusts me a little more", said Diamond.

"Should he?", asked Ayanna.

"No. I just...if I knew he was going to do this...I would've let him kill me 11 years ago", said Diamond.

"Why would you say that?", asked Zara.

"I just wanted to keep you girls safe. I thought I was keeping someone safe but I didn't", Diamond said as a tear fell from her eye.

"Dad?", asked Alyssa.

Diamond nods.

"I didn't know he did that to him", said Diamond.

"Yea...he did it alright. He ruined my life", said Alyssa. "At least I have a part of it back I guess"

Ayanna looked down.

"I wanna go home", said Zara.

"We're going to get out of here. You just have to play along", said Diamond. "Please don't talk back or disobey him"

"I can't believe you're scared of that coward", said Alyssa.

"That coward got away with murder and made everyone think I was dead. I'm trying not to let the three of you be added to the list not listen to me please", said Diamond.

"I'm done listening to him. Seems like when I do, the only person I'm punishing is me", said Ayanna.

"Ayanna I am trying to help you", said Diamond.

"You couldn't even help yourself", said Ayanna.

Diamond made a face. "What I've done and went through for the past 11 years was for you guys and Kendrick", said Diamond.

"And where is Kendrick now?", asked Ayanna.

"I know that we don't have a relationship and you haven't seen me in so long and you know I'm weak right now but do not talk to me like that", said Diamond.

Brian walked into the room.

"Like what?", he asked. "Who?"

"...nothing", said Diamond.

"Nah. Was it Ayanna? I know her mouth has been wreckless lately", said Brian. "And that boy steady calling you. I told him to leave yo ass alone"

Ayanna looked down. "Just because nobody wants you, doesn't mean you need to run people away from me", Ayanna mumbled.

"Excuse me?", Brian asked as he walked closer to her.

"Brian—"

Brian cut Diamond off. "Shut up. I'm not talking to you", Brian said to Diamond as he still looked at Ayanna for a reply.

Ayanna continued not to look at him.

"Why am I handcuffed daddy? I'm not some criminal", said Ayanna.

"Why was I in a cell?", asked Brian.

"Why was my mom in a cell?", Ayanna asked as she finally looked at him. "For 11 years like she was criminal... or animal."

"How about you stay out of grown folk business?", asked Brian.

"I hate you", said Ayanna. "With a passion"

Brian looked at her for a moment.

Diamond observed him and saw him trying to hold back his anger.

Brian pointed at Ayanna. "Say it again. I dare you", said Brian.

"Ayanna please. Don't be disrespectful", said Diamond quickly. "I'm sure your father didn't raise you like that"

"Yea...he didn't...come to think of it I was in the house all day like some caged animal too mom so I kinda know how you feel. Fortunately, I had school to go to. Speaking of school, it's a weekday. We should really be getting an education", said Ayanna.

Diamond shook her head.

Diamond loved how vocal Ayanna was, she just didn't want Brian to get too angry with her and do something.

"Better than your fast ass being pregnant or locked up somewhere. I did what I had to do. Get over it", said Brian.

"Fast ass? That's how you feel about me daddy?", asked Ayanna. "Wow. That's crazy"

"Stop cussing", said Brian.

Ayanna rolled her eyes. "And if I don't?", asked Ayanna.

Brian looked at Diamond.

Diamond looked at him.

"Stay calm", said Diamond.

Brian looked at Ayanna then walked toward the door of the room.

"I'll go get breakfast", said Brian.

Brian walked out.

Diamond looked at Ayanna.

"Cut it out. You think he won't touch you but he will and you're pushing him to it. Chill the fuck out. I'm trying to help you", said Diamond.

"What's the plan than? Do whatever he says and he'll let us feel?", asked Ayanna.

"No. Do whatever says means the least restraints you'll have. I was locked in a cell for years...now I have one hand cuffed. You guys have all four limps. Eventually I'll have none", Diamond whispers. "Get the picture now?"

"Took him 11 years to trust you. I'm not being handcuffed for 11 years", Ayanna whispered.

"It'll be faster for you guys because you're children. Besides once he fully trusts me, I'll be the one to get you out of those things", said Diamond. "So do as I say. Like I said, I know I haven't been around and I'm sorry. But I'm still your mother and I ever wanted to do was keep you guys safe. In order for me to continue doing that, you have to listen to me"

"Okay mom", said Alyssa. "Me and Zara will"

"Yea", said Zara.

Ayanna rolled her eyes.

Diamond looked at Ayanna. "When you were little you loved your dad. I always thought that you loved him more than me", said Diamond.

Ayanna looked at Diamond.

"I need you to be that little girl.", said Diamond.

"Fine", said Ayanna.

"Thank you. I'm going to get you guys out of here.", said Diamond.

TO BE CONTINUED...