Chapter ninety-eight. Welcome. 98

It's dawn when I wake up, head aching and throbbing the second I sit up.
Five in the morning, Lando's alarm will go off in twenty minutes.

He's quietly sleeping next to me, laying on his stomach, arms under his pillow and face sideways on it. His hair is a bit messy, but very curly. Even now I can smell his cologne dancing in the air.

The room is warm, and comfortable as the sky is purple by the rising sun.

Lando mumbles something in his sleep, making me smile.
It's calm. And after everything, I'm happy that I get to wake up right where I am.
Next to a man so unique and kind. Even if we're not more then friends.

I get up and have to bite my finger at the pain in my head.
I close my eyes for a second. Once it goes down a small bit I walk on.

Entering the bathroom, I turn on the tab to drink some water.
Once I turn it off, my vision goes in the corner of my right eye.
'No not again.... please.' I whisper as I rub my eyes.

I sigh and take a seat on the edge of the bathtub.
There are no pain relievers around so there's nothing I can do but sit and wait till my vision comes back.

So I sit in the bathroom for a while, eventually hearing Lando's alarm go off.
It shuts off quickly after, and to my surprise, his footsteps sound soon after that.
'Amelia?' He asks in a whisper. 'Yeah.'

My vision is halfway back.
He enters the bathroom.
'Are you okay?'

'Fine, but my vision went again and I didn't want to slam into any doorways or walls.'
He holds out his hand, looking sleepy as he rubs his eye with the other.
'Go back to bed. This isn't comfortable.'

I take his hand and he walks me back to bed.
'I'll be out till later today. Get some rest while I'm gone, alright?'
He grabs clothes after he made sure I'm warmly tucked in under the sheets.
'What time will you be back?' He looks over his shoulder at my question before opening a drawer. 'Around two or three in the afternoon.'

I hum in response.
'I'll bring back some Aspirin.'
Gentle fingers brush some hair behind my ear.
'Thank you.'

He heads out.
I lay awake, hearing the shower run.

The day passes by slowly as max goes out as well.
I decide to go for a walk around the neighborhood, it being slightly rainy and dark out. After that I lay down on the couch and watch a show Lando finished on Netflix.
It turns out to be quite interesting, but I doze off anyways.

When I wake up I hear squeaking of wet shoes on tiles.
A soft blanket rests over me as a glass of water and a box of Aspirin stands ready on the table in front of me. I door closes as the now quiet footsteps go on.

I flinch when I sit up.
'Lando?'

No response.
Rain gently taps on the windows.
The house is warm, and feels cozy.

I get up and leave the living room, entering the hall to find a dripping jacket and wet shoes. He's home right? Or is it max that came back.

'Lando?'
I slowly make my way up the stairs.
I want a hug, and I'm bound to get one from him.
There's no response again.

The neat hallway upstairs is empty.
White walls and a painting of the papaya car the only thing to be seen.
The grab carpet is soft under my feet as I make my way to Lando's bedroom.

'Lando?'
This time, when I turn the corner to look into his room, he looks up.
Our eyes meet and a breath leaves my lips at the familiar face.
'Why are you up?' He asks as he lays down what he was holding and walks over.

I meet him halfway and hug him.
His arms move around my waist to hold me closer to him.
'I wanted to welcome you home, but I fell asleep.'
Lando chuckles lightly, squeezing me a bit tighter for a second.
'This was different, but still nice.' He says softly.

'Did you take the aspirin yet?'
He backs away a little to look me in my eyes.
I shake my head no 'then please go downstairs and take them, I'll be right there.'

Instead of turning back and heading downstairs on his request, my hands go to his waist and carefully hold him before stepping closer and laying my head against his chest. 'Thank you.' I say quietly. He rubs my back 'What for?' He asks just as softly as I spoke.

'I.... I'm just simply thankful for your existence, wether I am supposed to be a part of it or not.'

Lando stays quiet as he holds me a little closer.
'So am I.'