Chapter 14

I leaned back in my chair after completing a job well done. I had enrolled myself into Westview High, which is apparently where Diana Ciro's daughter goes.

I would start school in two days so I guess I should probably buy the stuff that I would need. I guess I should get a somewhat presentable backpack, and figure out what a typical high school student here needed. I knew the basics, I wasn't deprived of an education, but humans could be weird, they probably have so many gadgets to help them when they could just write it out.

***

I walked into Westview High, with my overly heavy backpack. According to the human search engine, Google, humans sure did need a lot of stuff just to learn some basic knowledge.

As I walked in I realized that I should be a bit more careful of what I said, I couldn't risk giving myself away, for starters I shouldn't refer to them as humans anymore.

I made my way to the office which was relatively easy to find. I received my schedule and locker number. The guidance counselor then gave me a full tour of the school and then left me at my first class of the day, which seemed to be half over already.

I knocked on the already opened door to let the teacher know I was here before walking in. The whole class of what I counted to be twenty-six students all turned to stare at me.

"How may I help you?" the teacher asked me.

"I'm the new student," I said, trying to sound at least a bit confident. I had trained hard with heavy metal swords and come on land confidently, yet a whole classroom of staring students seemed to intimidate me.

"Ah yes, Aiden right? Well, introduce yourself to the class."

"Hi I'm Aiden, and I... like reading books," I didn't know what else to say.

The class seemed to chuckle at my response, I couldn't understand why though. Were people so wrapped up in their so-called smartphones that they didn't know what a book was? Or was reading frowned upon? I guess I'll find a bit more after being here for a bit, but so far, all I've concluded is that people here are weird.

The teacher pointed me to the only empty desk in the classroom and said I could sit there. I hung my backpack on my chair and sat down.

Once the teacher began speaking again I heard a whisper from somebody to my left trying to get my attention.

"Hey I'm Amy, I love reading books as well, it seems to be such an underrated thing these days," she sighed, "it seems like no one knows how to enjoy a good book anymore."

The teacher noticed us talking and scolded us before returning to the lesson. At least I got on the good side of at least one person today.

***

After being in the school for about two weeks, I finally figured out the system, what things seemed to be popular or not so popular, and just some other basic stuff.

What really baffled me though was the fact that people here learn basic stuff at such an old age. Students here are only now, at the age of fifteen to sixteen, just learning how to solve using the Pythagorean Theorem. I learned when I was ten.

Humans seemed to spoil their kids when it came to education, only giving the absolute minimum to their children and not showing them how to deal with huge piles of work and how to finish it efficiently, and the worst part is that students here still manage to fail their classes even with the limited amount of work they're getting.

I almost considered switching my classes to ones of a higher level but I didn't want to come off as too smart or a know-it-all, so I stayed in the classes that I found extremely boring, remembering to bring a book every day so I could do something at least a little entertaining once I finished my work an hour before everyone else.

I really hoped that I would finish this mission soon because I don't know how much I could take of this boredom.