Window Displays Part ll

LENA POV

"Not only did you pay for lunch and hot chocolate but now these desserts? No way Stef! No way!" I say to her as we just left the little chocolate boutique in Rockefeller Center and Stef had been insistent on paying for everything we got today on our outing. "All of that cost way more then the coffees I was bringing you last week."

"And?" She laughs taking a sip of coca as we stand outside the boutique and I shake my head at her a smile remaining on her face.

"And you are stubborn."

"Now, I will not argue with that. Now let's go check out Saks." She beins to walk off as I look towards the giant tree wanting to get a tad closer as I hear the holiday music in the background near the skating rink.

"Stef, do you mine if we check out the tree for a minute. I've never actually been any closer then this."

She turns around and walks back towards me smiling once again.

"Of course. Lets check it out." I walk besides her toward the giant tree as the crowd grows more and more intense. Crap, I had forgotten what a damm tourist trap this was as I'm being shoved around a bit and a few people come in between me and Stef. But as I try to get closer to her gain I suddenly feel someone gently grab my hand as she pulls me closer to her.

"Can't have you getting lost." She teases as I hold her hand back tighter and as the crowd thins out we almost forget our hands are still locked together neither of us pulling apart just yet as I begin to wonder why I felt so safe with her considering we just met two weeks ago. I wasn't known for being the most trusting person especially after what happened in my relationship of almost ten years. But maybe I felt how different Stef was, or maybe I let my guard down completely in terms of her.

And if I did, something I promised never to ever do again, what did that say about her or me? She certainly didn't know I was gay and I didn't make a habit of going around and sharing that information but after we left the coffee shop earlier I still had not told her anything about why I moved here and why teaching was no longer possible.

"You know when I was a kid this tree looked tremendous. Still does." She says as I stare at her pretty profile and she turns to look at me her eyes growing more intense and somewhat sensitive.

"Did you come here every year with your grandparents?"

"We did. What about you when you visited?"

"Oh no I only came during the summers. I've only seen it a handful of time actually and never got this close. But mostly on TV. But I have to say that in person it is so much more magical. Even if we are adults.

"It is." I hear her whisper as I sip my hot chocolate again.

"Stef, it's not easy for me to admit what happened in regards to teaching." I finally spill as she turns to look at me again. "I just never told anyone not even my parents. Grandma Bunny but that's all. It's been hard to trust anyone."

"I understand that. I really do Lena. And I know we just met two weeks ago and if you aren't comfortable telling me I will never push. It takes time sometimes to process things, especially painful things. In a sense it seems easier to push it away but for some reason it comes back to face us head on. Listen, I'm a bit of hermit, I rarely go out, I work non stop and when I am home I can't bare to even stay there most of the time. I sleep with the TV running or the radio just to get some type of noise in there. This is the most I've been out in awhile and I've enjoyed the day so much with you."

"I have too Stef. It's been like a breath of fresh air and I don't know what it is it still feels like I've known you for years. Even if that sounds crazy." I say now realizing just how lonely Stef is, for I can see it on her face I really can and it breaks my heart all over again for her. But maybe it was something she didn't realize herself.