Chapter 6: Seeker

I don't remember what I dreamed about, but I woke up screaming and sweating. It was not a pleasant awakening. My first reaction was to reach for my neck. For over a year, I had an iron collar there, which made me obey the man who experimented on me. I didn't want to experience it again. So when I didn't find this magical tool on my neck, I was very relieved.

The innkeeper warned me against the noise from the next door brothel. But, except for my nightmare in the morning, I slept like a log all night. My assumption that I would wake up in the early morning, long before sunrise, was wrong. I woke up at dawn. My sleep was long and undisturbed, something rare to me.

It didn't change the fact that this was a new beginning for me, a fresh start in a new world. So, where to start? My plan was non-existent. I had no idea what to begin with, the only thing I had was a few small goals. First, kill Dungreen. Second, destroy the fae. Third, if possible, find my way back to Earth. The last two goals could contradict each other because Fea could travel between realms. I knew that.

However, I was not in a position to go looking for my jailer, nor did I have the strength and training to do so. Finding fae was an even more challenging goal, especially when they were masters of tricks. More people or creatures may have known how to travel between realms, but I had yet to find out.

I decided to start my new life on Eleaden with something simpler.

Breakfast.

Innkeeper Byron was already behind the bar when I entered the pub. He was full of energy as he ran from the bar to the kitchen. The young girl I saw running with a tray between the tables yesterday helped him in the kitchen. The tables were almost empty in the morning. There were only two men and one couple.

As soon as I reached the bar, the innkeeper noticed me. He came out of the kitchent and asked me if I would like breakfast. The nine coppers, according to the innkeeper, were not much for scrambled eggs with bread. I had to trust Byron in that. However, the truth was that even though I only had water to drink, the scrambled eggs were excellent, and the portion was decent. I almost began to shed tears as much as I enjoyed it.

"Are you all right?" The girl asked as she walked past my table.

I nodded. "It was excellent."

"I'll tell our chef," the waitress said.

"Didn't the innkeeper cook those eggs?" I wondered.

"Uh-hmm," the girl smiled and disappeared into the kitchen.

After a long time, I was so happy with the food that I didn't even want to get up from the table. However, exploring the city was waiting for me. I got up and headed out of the inn.

"Miss Grey!!" the innkeeper called to me as he left the kitchen.

He stopped me just as I reached for the doorknob.

I turned to the innkeeper. "Yes?"

"How satisfied were you with the room?" He asked me. "Did you mind the noise?"

"I was really exhausted. I slept all night." I said.

"Glad to hear it. Will you sleep here tonight?" Mr. Byron asked.

I scratched my neck and smiled. "To tell you the truth, I don't know. I want to look around Castiana today. Get my bearings here. Find out the prices of accommodation elsewhere. Find a job."

"I understand. So I won't keep that room for you. Key please," He asked me for a key that I totally forgot about.

The key was in my storage, which was a really convenient thing. I gave it to Byron immediately.