Chapter 30: Breakfast

Now that I thought about it, I didn't see any guards with levels like these gals during the attack, only those with two question marks, not counting the healers in the infirmary. So the question was, where were those with one question mark or Guards like Vara and Elira.

"Wait," Vara said, her mouth full of food, looking at me in surprise. "Didn't you happen to have wings?"

"She did," Elira nodded thoughtfully and looked at me, searching for them.

I didn't try to hide my injuries or what happened to me. If they rose from the table, they would see the right wing's stump, but because they were sitting, it was hidden from their view.

"I lost them last night," I told them, standing up, showing them my back, and gritting my teeth at the pain these movements had caused me.

Vara grimaced in disgust, "Nasty,"

"You're still healing," Elira remarked, grinning. "Nice regeneration."

Her mindfulness startled me. Only from what she saw was she able to conclude that the healers deliberately did not heal my wounds, that my body was rapidly regenerating. The fact that I sat down immediately after her remark and was silent, unaware of what to say, was almost like a confession.

"Don't worry. I'm not going to pry," Elira tried to reassure me when she saw how nervous I was.

I smiled in relief, "Thanks."

"How did that happen to you? After that boring night I had, I'd like to hear something interesting, exciting," Vara said with sparks of excitement in her eyes.

I had no idea what night she had, but my night was not boring, although I would not use the word exciting as its description either. It was a terrible night.

I hesitated, unaware of what I could say and not, "I lost my wings in the attack on the barracks."

"That's it?!" Vara frowned. "More details, please!"

"I don't know if I can tell you," I said honestly, looking at both of them. "I don't want to get into any more trouble because of that, nor do I know if I can tell you about the agent."

Elira sighed, "It's a shame when I saw you here, I thought you joined the Castiana City Guards, that the Imperial Agent and Rayden were investigating your background before you joined. I guess I was wrong."

"Do imperial agents verify the background of anyone who wants to join the city guards?" I asked in disbelief.

"No," Elira shook her head and shrugged. "I just thought because you were a slave in Arda, they needed you to check your background more thoroughly."

"Well, I hate to disappoint, but I'm not joining you. I don't think they'll let me become the city guard, anyway," I said, finally taking a bite of my chilling breakfast.

"She hasn't even reached her evolution yet. Why would they let her join us?!" Vara objected, her mouth full.

"True," she nodded and smiled slightly, "Maybe later, then."

Saying nothing, I nodded. It would be foolish of me to say that I will never join the city guards as I had no idea where fate would eventually take me.

For a moment, I thought I'd finally have some time to eat my breakfast in peace, Vara saw it differently.

"Well, you can't tell us about the interrogation or how you lost your wings, I understand," Vara summed up, leaning across the table closer to me. "But I bet they didn't forbid you to tell me what happened between you and Travis."