Chapter 38: Dark Past

That companies saw the seeker only as numbers was disgusting and scary at the same time. Seekers were people! Each of them certainly had different reasons for becoming one. Some did it because of money, others for fame, for some it was a challenge, and for those like me a way to become stronger. All these dreams were destroyed by the companies that didn't give a shit about them.

"Sorry, miss Grey, that sounded worse than I wanted!" said Enola, seeing my reaction to her words. But what else should I have thought but be disgusted when companies hired new seekers just to keep up the numbers.

"I have reason to be biased against companies, against seekers, but that doesn't excuse me. It wasn't professional of me." she apologized and bowed slightly. "I understand if you want to file a complaint."

"What? No!" I said, shaking my head sharply. I had no reason to do such a thing when she apologized for her mistake. Plus, it was not that big a deal.

She nodded, "Thank you!"

"Oh, not at all," I muttered, a little confused by what just happened. "Then why are the companies suddenly so interested in me?"

"There's always someone in the lobby listening and watching, either directly from the companies or freelancers, who give the companies tips for money," Enola explained, which forced me to look around the hall. It was hard to find anyone among the many people in it, though.

I looked back at the receptionist, "So they heard me talk to you?"

"Probably," she agreed.

"... but why the interest?" I asked, realizing that she had only partially answered my question.

"If I remember correctly, when you first asked me about seekers, I told you that according to the companies, there is always a lack of them," she said and sighed, massaging her temples. "My previous thoughtless harsh words were not meant for all companies, only for the more...dubious ones that should not be allowed to exist, in my opinion. In any case, most of them are trying to expand their ranks, not because of losses in their ranks but to broaden their scope. They try to recruit talented people to get deeper into the labyrinth and bring more raw materials out of it."

"So they think I have talent?" I asked, pleasantly surprised.

Enola shook her head with a sigh, "Do you? Unless one of my colleagues registered you as a seeker and sent you into the first floor, I'm sure you haven't been there yet."

I realized what she was trying to tell me. Companies couldn't know if I had talent or not when I hadn't visited the labyrinth yet. They hadn't seen me fight unless one of the guards had told them about my pitiful struggle in the barracks.

"Couldn't the trainers give them a tip?" I asked, wondering who could tell them some information about me.

"Only trustworthy people verified by Castiana City Hall can do the work of trainers. If they break the principles, they will receive strict penalties, but I'm not saying it's not impossible. If you insist, we can ..." she said, pausing, flipping through a book she'd pulled from under the counter. "We can ask Nila Tenderfire and Razso Sharpfang a few questions, verify that they adhere to the principles they have undertaken to honor."

I raised my hands, stopping her, "Don't do it! It's not necessary. I...I was just asking."

Even though it irritated me, it didn't bother me enough to make the two angry at me. Razso had no reason to do so, as he told me straight away that he would introduce me to his acquaintance. I felt a certain respect for Tenderfire and didn't believe she would sink so low.