Chapter 44: Trapped

Lying in the middle of a meadow under a blue sky in a light breeze was pleasant. No noise, no people, no assassins, no masters, just calm and murderous rabbits. What a beautiful place.

One such beast lay a few feet away from me, dead.

It was my first fight, first kill. I entered the labyrinth, stood up to the beast, and didn't chicken out. It wasn't the epic fight I imagined, I wasn't the fearless heroine I thought I would be, nor was the beast I stood up to an ancient dragon, but I didn't piss my pants as I looked into its mouth.

I hesitated, though.

Now I felt proud of what I had accomplished and calmed down, but I hesitated when I had to kill the rabbit. I cried and fought my conscience. It startled me at how unprepared I was to end the fight, how hard it was to take a life. I wondered if it would be easier in time and if I can do it a second time at all, hoping it didn't make me a monster, a blood-thirsty killer.

Time will tell. Time and another fight!

It was a fight which I didn't know how to approach. As I found out, I can prepare as I want, plan what I want, but I can't predict what will happen and how I will react. It was frustrating!

What was certain, though, was that I gained a few levels in my skills.

(ding) Painless Agony reaches lvl 8

(ding) Tireless Machine reaches lvl 11

(ding) Swift as a Whip reaches lvl 9

...

(ding) Master's Shield reaches lvl 7

...

(ding) Perfect Equilibrium reaches lvl 7

(ding) Space Domain reaches lvl 8

(ding) Never-Dying reaches lvl 27

...

(ding) Tail of Poison Empress reaches lvl 6

(ding) Tail of Poison Empress reaches lvl 7

...

(ding) Inner Perception reaches lvl 7

Unfortunately, no new tier-up, but a bunch of skills weren't far from it, even [Never-Dying], which was approaching tier three at level thirty. Just a few more levels and a damn lot of pain.

It was an incredible gain for a few minutes of fighting, and it would be great if it was like this all the time. Though, I knew it was just my wishful thinking. I gained so much because, with skills below level ten, I fought a beast of level thirty-eight. It was beyond the level of my skills, and I had to try harder because of that.

Due to these low-level skills and my non-existent experience, the fight turned out as it turned out.

I sighed aloud at the memory of how badly I had done in combat and looked at my stats.

Name: Korra Grey

Race: Human

Gender: Female

Age: 29

Class: Slave (Master - none)

Level: 92

Constitution: 64 (39)

Strength: 32 (21)

Endurance: 31 (25)

Dexterity: 23 (23)

Intelligence: 19 (11)