Chapter 85: Checkup

Rayden gritted her teeth as the Imperial Chief Healer questioned Castiana's safety again, thus the capability of her and her guards. Similarly, Deckard. Lord Wigram's words suggested he was unable to protect me, his apprentice. I didn't have to be a mind mage to see his anger.

The old healer quickly realized his blunder, too. "Please, no need to get upset. We're all trying to prevent incidents like the attack on the barracks or the kidnapping of Miss Grey here in broad daylight from happening again. None of you like the presence of soldiers in the city, but how about a compromise." Knowing that he now had everyone's attention, he paused, almost as if enjoying the suspense. "No doubt, Agent Sah has made a mistake, one that will certainly earn him not too appealing assignments from his superiors in the future. I suggest he stay here and keep an eye on Miss Grey. Out of the shadows, without you having to deal with him most of the time." He added knowingly, seeing my frown.

The idea of someone like him watching me all the time gave me creeps. "Is that necessary?"

"I'm afraid so," said the Imperial Chief Healer. "I understand your concern. I've also taken a long time to get used to the constant presence of agents and guards around me. To be honest, there are times even now when I find it annoying, but I've gotten used to it, and I understand the necessity." Why he saw it as necessary was not lost on me. I didn't want to be kidnapped again, either.

"Just...", it really gave me the creeps. Literally. "It's...when someone watches me, it gives me the goosebumps."

Words spoken without thought, yet caught the attention of all. Questions filled their stares. That alone almost sent a shiver down my spine and made me realize I hadn't told anyone about my weird sense yet.

"Can you explain, Miss Grey?" the old healer asked. He was oozing with genuine interest, waiting anxiously for my explanation. I, searching for the right words, scratched the back of my neck. "It's hard to describe. A strange feeling that makes my hair bristle up, and I just know someone's watching me. I don't know who, if he's alone or where. That's it."

The Imperial Chief Healer gave me a thoughtful nod. "It's not part of a skill. I take it?"

"No, just my beast side...I guess. So..." was it really necessary for Sah to follow me? I didn't finish the question as I couldn't shake the feeling that the old healer wouldn't back down over his assignment in the city.

"Interesting, and I agree with you," he said. My ears twitched. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Some of the more sensitive terrans are capable of the same or more. Add to that their sensitive noses, and you'll find it quite difficult to sneak up on them." Disappointing. Here I thought he agreed that Agent Sah's presence wasn't necessary. Instead, he blathered on about terrans, not hiding his fascination with my body. It made me shudder.

"Anyway," he cleared his throat. "I believe a little training can help you with that. Actually, I recommend it. Because it's either Agent Sah or a unit of soldiers. On that, I'm afraid I will have to insist."

"Just Sah?" The Captain asked, doubt evident in her voice.

The Imperial Chief Healer smiled. "Just him, you have my word. Of course, your command will not be questioned as before, and you can use him if it doesn't affect his duties. I think such a position could have assuaged the anger of his superiors and served as sufficient punishment. We can work out the details of his assignment later if that's alright with you?"

Massaging the bridge of her nose, she closed her eyes for a brief moment. "It needs to be clear who's in command. I don't want to argue with him about it during his assignment here. Otherwise, I agree."

"Excellent," the Imperial Chief Healer exclaimed enthusiastically, looking at Deckard. "How about you? I don't doubt that you can take care of your apprentice, but an extra set of eyes is always useful."