Searching for Nothing

"well, i was gonna play hookie today, but pap fell ill, so i had to come." Sans shrugged as he concluded his story. He, Undyne, Alphys, Toriel, Frisk, Gaster, and Grillby were all standing at the edge of Ebbot forest. "Ok.. why is Grillby here?"
"you know i tell him everything. he wanted to help." Sans replied. "Indeed. I was also quite eager to meet you, Dr. Gaster. I've heard alot about you from Sans." Grillby held his hand out to shake Gaster's. "I see, a pleasure to see you again, Grillby. You were quite an infamous commander in the war." Grillby looked to Sans in confusion. "erased from time and space, remember? he knows you, but you won't remember him." Gaster looked a little impressed. "Quite the deduction, and a correct one at that." The other four were startled and impressed as well. "well it was really just a guess, but that's cool." Sans chuckled. "well then, we're burning daylight." Gaster nodded. "Yes, let's go." Undyne took the lead with Alphys at her side. Gaster and Grillby were next, the elemental had questions. Then Toriel and Frisk with Sans taking the rear, wondering where Papyrus was really.

☢☢☢

"So, Dr. Gaster, what will you do when you find these beings?" Grillby asked, genuinely curious. "I do not know yet, they were created for a war that never happened." Gaster replied. "I suppose it really depends on how wild they are. I may use them for future wars or keep them as pets." Grillby hummed. "And if they are more intelligent then just being pets?"
"Intelligent? They are only supposed to have brains enough to take orders." Grillby crossed his arms, looking around. "I see." Well. Sans and Papyrus far exceeded that. "Thank you for quelling my curiosity. I have one more question, if you don't mind."
"Go ahead, commander." Grillby shook his head. "Just Grillby is fine, I haven't been called commander in years. How will you retrieve them?"
"I have a tranquilizer on me. We will be fine." Grillby didn't like the sound of that at all. Sure the tranquilizers would work at first, but it wouldn't long before bad things started to happen. He'd learned the hard way when the boys got sick for the first time. He'd given them cough syrup that usually made monsters drowsy. They hadn't known him all that well back then and things had gotten... rough.

☢☢☢

"Jeez, no prints or anything.. you sure they aren't both dragons?" Undyne grumbled. "One is very much a wolf, thank you." Gaster retorted. "we won't be able to cover all this in a day, we won't be able to cover this in a month." Sans commented as he looked at a set of rabbit tracks. Mainly, he was looking for bear tracks. He knew Papyrus would be nearby if there was problems, but still, he hoped to be steps ahead. "He is right, doctor." Toriel agreed. "These woods are much more vast than Snowdin's." Gaster nodded. "How infuriating. I wish they would just come to me. Sans nearly laughed. As if. "maybe they know you're lookin." He winked. Gaster deadpanned. "Impossible."
"buddy, nothing's impossible." He replied coolly. "W-what makes you say that?" Alphys asked. "heh heh heh... you literally rescued a man from non-existence and your asking me that. you're hilarious." He wiped away a fake tear. Frisk knew that well, being able rewind time. Sans could remember those as well, which very few could. He seemed to be the very definition of impossible to them. "Ah-ha.. g-good point.."

☢☢☢

They called it quits for the day as the sun was starting to set. Frisk and Toriel were the first to leave. Toriel had to get dinner started after all. Undyne and Alphys had a date so they were next to leave. Gaster hesitated, staring out into the woods. "maybe tomorrow, G, maybe tomorrow." Sans stated, Grillby nodding in agreement. "Sans is right, there is always tomorrow." With a sigh Gaster bid them good bye and good night. After he teleported to the motel he was staying at for the time being. "you can come out now, pap." The skeleton slipped out off the woods, readjusting his scarf. "I SAW QUITE A FEW BEARS, LUCKILY NONE WHERE YOU WERE WALKING."
"ready to stake out tomorrow too?"
"ANOTHER CHANCE TO STRETCH MY WINGS? YES PLEASE!" Sans laughed. "and what about you? what do you think of our creator?" Grillby hesitated. "Some of his words were cause for concern. Please do not get spotted Papyrus, remember what happened last time you got drowsy against your wills.." They all remembered. "I WILL NOT BE SEEN!" Papyrus promised.

☢☢☢

It started when Sans accidentally bit the fire monster while playing. Grillby had raised his voice in pain, making both boys skitter back in fear, tails tucked, and heads low. Grillby hadn't meant to scare them. "I'm sorry boys, please forgive me.." He knew that these creatures were sensitive things. They felt emotions. He knew they could at least some what understand them. Sans turned away first, slinking away in shame. He knew he was dangerous, that he could hurt others. He didn't want to hurt Grillby though, so he wouldn't return until he was less dangerous. Stars did he desire to be less dangerous. Papyrus looked to Grillby before following his brother. The wolf flopped sadly onto the snow, groaning. The dragons wings drooped. He didn't like seeing his brother this way. Something started happening as the days went on, first with the wolf, then the dragon. It was subtle at first, barely noticeable, but they noticed. They were changing. Though they were created in quadrupedal forms, the soul pieces that gave sentience was originally bipedal. Thus with their wishes to become less dangerous, they were slowly turning into bipedal skeletons. When Sans had very few traces of his other form left, his claws and tail were all that remained, they returned to Grillby's. Papyrus had his wings, claws, and tail yet. Sans barked for the fire monster to come out and when he did, stars was he shocked to see the beasts now boys at his front door. What could he do but take them in?