Fifty Nine | Shades

I fall to the floor, but with enough concentration I manage to stand. "Why are you doing this?" I hiss, struggling to keep my balance.

"This business is cut throat, you're either in or you're out."

I take a moment to process what he just said. He planned this all along and I never; not even once suspected he was the one behind the mess. "You killed him, didn't you? You killed Roman!"

"My dearest Zahra, I did what anyone presented with an opportunity would do." He chuckles as he takes a few steps forward. "Most people think the most important piece on the chess board is the king, or the queen or the rook; some people even say it's the bishop." He taunts, coming to stand in front of me. "I like to think it's the pawn. Underestimated and yet the most dangerous, with a little patience it can become anything. Quite interesting, don't you think?"

"I'm not in the mood for your little mind games, Luca."

"Will you do as you're fucking told or are we going to have a problem?" He asks with barely restrained fury, his eyes holding mine captive, making it clear that I'm supposed to give him an answer.

"I guess we're gonna have a problem."

Luca chuckles, a wicked grin plastered on his face. "You know, if you cooperate now, I'll feel less inclined to hurt your friend."

"If that's what it takes to get you to leave me and my family alone." I take in a breath. "Fine, I'll do whatever you want."

"I'm your family too, Zahra." He taunts.

I open my mouth to retort but pause when I feel warmth around my hand. I look down to see blood gushing out of my wound. Black dots cloud my vision and I land on the ground with a thud.

"You lost that privilege the moment your greed made you choose power over the only person that actually cares about you."

<<·>> <<·>> <<·>>

Killian POV

A nurse enters into the room and Jas looks panicked, rushing to Zahra's side. I give a reassuring smile to the nurse, and she strolls over to the bed before checking her monitor.

"How is everyone holding up?" She asks.

"Better than we look." Jas snorts, averting her gaze to look at the nurse.

"Will she be alright?" I ask.

"I know you're all worried about her but I promise you she's out of danger. The surgery went well, her body just needs to recover from the loss of blood." The nurse explains. "She'll wake up in a couple of hours."

We suddenly hear voices in the hallway. I leave the room to go see what is happening; in the hallway, nurses rushing down the hall and I avert my gaze to the two bodies being wheeled into different surgery blocks. A hand grabs my shoulder, and I quickly turn around, relaxing when I see Cameron smiling at me before engulfing me into a hug.

"You good?" He asks as we pull back.

"I've been better."

"How is she?"

"The bullet didn't hit any vital organs so she'll be alright."

"It's not her body I'm worried about." He replies before letting out a long sigh. "I've known Zahra for a long time so I know she's a tough one, what I'm more concerned about her state of mind."