Chapter 5

A full moon glowed overhead as the EchoClan cats moved toward the Gathering place. Burrowpelt would normally feel excited, but she'd been so tired lately, due to a lack of sleep, she didn't feel like she could hype herself up, even if she was interested in what Willowstar would say about FernClan.

The group reached the Gathering Hollow and settled down in a spot not far from the BrookClan cats who were already present. Not quite at the mingling stage yet, Burrowpelt thought, finding a place for herself close to Sparrowfeather and Griffinwing.

As Stonestar joined Willowstar on the Fallenoak, Barkstar and his cats approached from the field. Many looked as excited as a new apprentice. Dawnlight found her spot with the other medicine cats and Burrowpelt saw her start up conversation with Starfur. Ashwind, the deputy, settled next to Darkmoon and Lionstripe. And after a while, the rest of the cats finally found a place a little farther from the rest, not looking completely sure where they should be.

When Barkstar climbed up beside the other leaders, Stonestar began with his announcements. "We are doing well despite the cold, finding enough prey and staying as warm as we can." He dipped his head to Barkstar, who stepped forward with his news.

Out of the corner of her eye, Burrowpelt saw Dandelionpaw and Fogbreeze waving her over, so she said a hasty goodbye to Sparrowfeather and made her way toward them.

A big grin was plastered on Fogbreeze's face. "Hey!"

"Hey there," Burrowpelt greeted him with a small smile. "Did you need to tell me something?"

"No, just wanted to see you," Fogbreeze said. Burrowpelt saw Dandelionpaw roll his eyes, something she hadn't known him to be capable of doing.

"Oh, alright." She returned her gaze to the Fallenoak where Willowstar was finishing up her announcement.

"BrookClan is as strong as ever." And with that, she leapt down and gathered up her Clanmates.

Fogbreeze gave Burrowpelt a swift lick on the ear that made her feel warm and fuzzy inside. "See you later," he said, then turned and left.

"Bye." Burrowpaw recovered her wits and rejoined her friends as they made their way out of the Gathering Hollow.

"Was that the BrookClan medicine cat?" Sparrowfeather asked. Burrowpelt tried to detect any hostility or jealously, but there was none.

"Fogbreeze, yeah," Burrowpelt replied casually, falling into step beside him. "He's nice."

"I'm sure he is." Again, Burrowpelt couldn't find any emotion in his voice.

She hesitated before asking, "Are you okay?"

Sparrowfeather looked a little surprised by the question. "Yeah, just curious," he said, flicking his tail nonchalantly.

"You are soooo jealous," Griffinwing butted in, throwing Burrowpelt a knowing look as she caught up to them.

Sparrowfeather swatted her with his tail. "No I'm not. Burrowpelt is aloud to have friends in other Clans."

Well thanks for your permission, Burrowpelt thought dryly, speeding up to walk ahead of them. Who cared if Sparrowfeather was jealous? It didn't matter to her. Not at all.