Chapter 12

Aster had insisted that he see Phoenixwing before they left. Dandelionpaw wasn't sure how well this would go over since the queen had spent the last seven moons hiding who her mate was and apparently ditched him after the kits were born.

      Foxkit and Lilackit trailed a little bit behind him, and he was behind Aster, and Starfur was at the head. She led him into the little side space beside the medicine den where the sick cats lay, mostly asleep.

      "Phoenixwing?" Starfur called tentatively.

      The ginger she-cat perked up. "Yes?" It seemed to take her a few moments for her vision to focus, and when it did, her eyes immediately fell onto Aster.

      "How are you doing?" the tom asked gently, stepping toward her a few steps.

      "Aster? What are you doing here?" Her eyes were wide in fear.

      "To see you, and meet the kits," he said, walking closer. "Are you okay?"

      "I. . . ." Phoenixwing hesitated. "So the whole Clan knows then? Foxkit and Lilackit know?"

      "Yes," Starfur said softly. "Everyone knows, but you're not in trouble, Stonestar is very forgiving."

      Phoenixwing seemed to be in shock and her two kits bounded up to her, though they heeded Dandelionpaw's warning prior to entering that they shouldn't get to close so they wouldn't catch the sickness.

      "Everything's okay, mama," Foxkit said reassuringly.

      "Yeah, we're very happy that Aster is here," Lilackit told her.

      Phoenixwing sniffed. "Of course. I'm sorry to have kept it a secret all this time. I just thought no one would accept you if they knew who your father was."

      Dandelionpaw didn't miss the slight change in Starfur's expression. "Of course the Clan accepts them. Aster even knows the cure to your sickness. In fact, we're going to collect some of it now."

      "Alright," Phoenixwing said, letting out a small cough. "Just. . . come back safely."

      "Of course." Aster gave Phoenixwing the most loving eyes Dandelionpaw had ever seen before walking away.

***

Starfur was preparing traveling herbs for the cats on the patrol. Dandelionpaw wanted to help, but she insisted he get a little bit of rest before they left.

      "Why do they want me to come with them?" he asked randomly.

      "They need a medicine cat with them," Starfur answered, her gaze not leaving her work.

      "Why couldn't you go?"

      "I need to stay here and help the sick cats. Besides. . . I haven't been feeling good lately."

      Dandelionpaw stared at her in alarm. "Do you have flamecough?"

      Starfur shook her head, letting out a small chuckle. "No, no. I think I just haven't been sleeping well."

      Dandelionpaw wasn't convinced. He analyzed her closer and thought back to the previous couple days. And now that he was looking, he noticed she looked a little large despite the lack of food that leafbare brings, and the seemingly impossible answer came to him. And before he could stop himself he said, "You're expecting."

      His mentor stared at him for a long moment. Finally she said with a sigh, "Yes, I am."

      "What are you going to do?" Dandelionpaw asked.

      "I'm not sure," she sighed again. "Darkmoon and I were considering—"

      "Darkmoon?" He couldn't keep the disbelief out of his voice. "You're expecting Darkmoon's kits?"

      "Well, yes." Starfur seemed a little flustered now. "We, um, have liked each other for awhile. You wont tell Stonestar, will you?"

      Dandelionpaw almost couldn't believe his ears. His mentor was expecting the deputy's kits.

      "I think you should tell Stonestar," Dandelionpaw said.

      "But I'm not supposed to have kits," Starfur said. "He'll probably exile me."

      "He didn't exile Phoenixwing."

       "Well, having kits with a Clanless cat isn't strictly against the code, is it?"

      "My father wont boot you out of the Clan for loving Darkmoon enough to have his kits," Dandelionpaw declared. "In fact, I don't think anyone should, why does that rule even exist?"

      "So medicine cats don't favor their kits over their other Clanmates—"

      Dandelionpaw scoffed. "And you wouldn't favor your parents? Or your littermates?"

      "Well I can't, because they're, you know—"

      Suddenly shameful, Dandelionpaw said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I—I know they're with StarClan. Lets take me for example; would I only favor my kits and not my sister? Or my mom and dad?"

      Starfur shrugged. "I didn't make the code."

      "But maybe you can change it." Dandelionpaw knew his words were scandalous. But that didn't make them any less true. He had never thought about how unfair it was that medicine cats can't have kits—probably because he didn't want any himself—until now.

      "Are you almost ready?" He heard Darkmoon's voice sound from outside.

      "Just about!" Starfur yelled back. "I'll think about it," she whispered to Dandelionpaw. Then she went back to preparing the herb bundles.