Chapter 25

Foxpaw was glad he was able to sleep that night. If he wanted to preform well in the battle, he had to be as well-rested as possible. Although, his dreams consisted of a bloody battle and lots of death. He shivered when he recalled it in the morning .

      He was nudged awake by his mentor. And when he went to wake Lilacpaw, he saw that she was already up.

      "Ready?" he asked with a grin.

      "Yes," she said, walking out of the den without as much of glance at him.

      He hurried after her. Cats milled around the clearing, being divided into groups.

      "Foxpaw, Lilacpaw," Darkmoon called. "You're with your mentors over here."

      Foxpaw nodded and went over to stand beside Burrowpelt. Griffinwing was also there, and he was glad that he and Lilacpaw could be in the same group.

      "Wait! Can I go in the same patrol as my kits?" Foxpaw peered around and saw his father talking with Darkmoon.

      "Sorry, Aster," Darkmoon said, although he didnt sound sorry at all. "You're not coming with us."

      "Why not?"

      Darkmoon looked about ready to smack him. "You're not trained, you're a kittypet. So, you're not coming."

      "But my kits—"

      "Will be fine, they have there mentors," Darkmoon growled. "Now please, we have a battle to fight."

      Downcast, Aster retired to the elders' den, where he'd been designated to stay for the time he was here.

        "Just remember," Burrowpelt said, redirecting the apprentice's attention. "Don't try and take on a bigger cat than you can handle, stay by our sides, if you lose us, don't panic. If that does happen, try and stay on the outskirts of the battle, we'll find you."

        "We know that you are capable of defending yourselves," Griffinwing added. "But you're still apprentices, so be careful. If you get hurt, find a medicine cat, okay?"

      The littermates nodded solemnly waiting for the patrol to leave. This was going to be thrilling, a story to tell his future kits, but he'd have to try and not die first.

      "EchoClan!" Stonestar shouted. "We leave!"

      He and Darkmoon led the cats out of camp. Dawn was still a while away, but the rogues could attack early, so they had to make good time 

      BrookClan and FernClan were waiting at the Gathering Hollow with their cats.

      "Can the cats
from the patrol come forward to lead the way?" Stonestar asked.

       Foxpaw wanted to shout as Lilacpaw left his side with Griffinwing, but he held his tongue. It's not fair. We were supposed to fight side-by-side.

      The other scouts from BrookClan and FernClan came forward and they led them in the direction of the rogues' camp. Past EchoClan's forest and through the tall and fresh snow. Foxpaw was careful to only step in other cats paw prints instead of making his own.

      "Just over here," one of the scouts said. His fur was gray and splotchy. "They live in an underground cave surrounded by pine trees."

      And sure enough, just ahead, was a large cave opening enclosed by snowy evergreens. It looked like good shelter, and it was just beyond the Clan territories so that they wouldn't notice them by just patrolling.