Chapter 10

A cough sounded nearby and Foxkit blinked awake. Looking up, he found that his mother was the culprit. She looked sleep deprived and she was panting heavily.

"What's wrong, mom?" he asked, rising from her side and giving her a sniff. "You smell awful."

"Oh, it's nothing," she said, fighting back another cough. "Just really hot." She carefully dislodged Lilackit, who woke up with a small mewl, and rushed out of the den in a hurry.

"Hot? In leaf-bare?" Foxkit almost laughed. "Lucky!"

"Who's lucky?" Lilackit groaned, rising up on stumbling paws.

"Not you," Foxkit said in a teasing manner. His sister swatted him, or at least tried to. Her movements were still sluggish with sleep and he avoided her easily.

"Who then?" Lilackit's jaws stretched wide in a yawn.

Foxkit stretched deeply, still keeping an eye on Lilackit's unpredictable paw. "Phoenixwing said she's really hot."

Lilackit gave him a questioning look and stared out the den at their mother, who seemed to be rolling in a thin layer of strange whitish sand. "What is that?" She paced forward and poked her nose out. Foxkit watched as a drop of the stuff landed on her and she recoiled with a disgusted look on her face. "Ewww!"

"Here; let me help." Foxkit reached forward and swiped at her nose, dislodging it and sending Lilackit backward.

"Ow!" she squawked. "Don't do that!"

Foxkit laughed before stepping out into the white world for himself. It was freezing! White drops fell around him like rain and the whole camp was covered in it's dusty paleness. His mom had collapsed in it and was breathing heavily on her side.

The magical spell of wonderment was broken and he rushed toward her. "Mom?"

Lilackit had also bounded forward, still looking disdainfully at the cold sand, but she too had concern written on her face as she reached Foxkit and Phoenixwing. "We have to get the medicine cats," she said, looking toward their den.

Without hesitation, Foxkit leaped forward across the winter wonderland and reached the medicine den, out of breath. "Starfur!" he gasped. "There's something wrong with Phoenixwing!"

The golden she-cat bolted upright. "Where is she?"

"She's just laying in the. . ." he groped for the right word, but Starfur came to his rescue. Glancing out the den, she said, "Snow. Let's go."

She strode out of the den, Foxkit on her heels. When she reached Phoenixwing, she took one sniff and said, "that strange sickness again." Turning to the kits, she murmured, "Go back to the nursery, I'll have Dandelionpaw come tend to you in a moment, but you have to stay warm, okay?"

The kits nodded and headed back toward the nursery, downcast.

"Do you think she'll be okay?" Lilackit asked quietly.

Foxkit didn't have an answer.

***

Dandelionpaw made them sleep in the elders' den that night. It was just as well protected from the wind and this snow as the nursery, but Foxkit didn't feel comfortable without the warmth of his mother. He knew he would be an apprentice soon and he'd have to sleep without her all the time, but still.

"Do you know what this means?" Lilackit whispered after Violetfur, the only elder left in the den, had fallen asleep.

"No?" Foxkit glanced at her, her eyes glowing like two full moons in the darkness.

His sister nodded toward the leader's den. "Phoenixwing isn't here to watch us tonight," she said.

"Oh, yeah." Foxkit's belly fluttered a little. He wasn't sure if it was nerves or excitement. "Let's. . . . Let's go then."

Lilackit led the way out of the elders' den, quiet as a mouse on the crunchy snow. Foxkit thought for sure someone would hear them, but the guard never turned their head. They crept farther, and farther away, and closer, and closer toward their destination.

And then they were there, at the yawning mouth of Stonestar's den with the hanging lichen appearing as teeth. Taking a deep breath, and shooting eachother one last look, they stepped inside.

Stonestar was laying in his nest with his mate curled beside him, their tails twined together while they slept.

"Where would he hide it?" Lilackit muttered while she started to pace around the den in search of the pearl.

"Um. . . in his nest?" Foxkit suggested.

Lilackit rolled her eyes. "Obviously it would have already been found then since it's cleaned out regularly."

"Oh, right." Foxkit paused. "Wait, how do you know that?"

She didn't answer, instead started scanning the walls for places a tiny object could hide. Foxkit followed her example, but he didn't see anything beyond the interlacing tree branches and moss.

"What if he doesn't hide it in her?" Foxkit asked.

"It is," Lilackit said. "Viperfang said so."

Foxkit knew his sister was right, but he had his doubts now about wether or not this pearl even existed. Still, they looked and looked, with no luck. Foxkit knew that any second, Stonestar would wake up, realize what they were doing, and banish them from the Clan, leaving them to die out in the cold forest. He didn't say this to Lilackit. But if I don't say it, then when it does happen, I can't say "I told you you so!" Oh well.

He almost leapt out of his fur when Lilackit called quietly, "I think I've found it!" Foxkit rushed over to her, relived. "Only problem is," she continued. "It's all the way up there." She pointed with her tail to the top portion of the wall where, if he squinted, Foxkit could see a slight silvery glimmer in the branches.

"So what do we do know?" Foxkit asked, hoping she already had a solution. "You can't just climb onto my shoulders and reach for it."

Lilackit stared at him. "Actually, thats brilliant! Stand still."

Shocked into the requested stillness, Lilackit was able to climb onto his back and placed her back legs on his shoulder blades. He was surprised by her balance as she continued to hold her upright position and reach a paw up at the branch holding the pearl. At first, Foxkit though she might not be tall enough, but with a great stretch and swing, she managed to dislodge it. But in the process she fell forward and sent them both tumbling to the ground.

With a thunk, Foxkit saw the pearl land close to Stonestar's nose, and he scrambled to his paws and snatched it up carefully between his teeth. "Caw mon," he said as best he could with it in his mouth. Lilackit glanced at the two sleeping cats before dashing outside close to her brother.

When they finally plopped down in the elders' den, Foxkit dropped the pearl at his paws and said, "That was close!"

"Mission successful." Lilackit grinned. "But I wonder how we get it to Viperfang?"

"No need for wondering, kits," Viperfang said, appearing in front of them, her snake-like eyes fixed on them, joined by a toothy smile. Foxkit jumped back in surprise, hoping she didn't also have a forked tongue.

As if reading his thoughts, she said casually, "No, I don't. Now, thank you for the Star Pearl. You two have been most helpful."

"And what of our father? You promised," Lilackit said.

"Oh, don't worry your pretty little face," Viperfang told her. "I have taken care of that. Goodnight." And she disappeared along with the pearl.

The littermates sat in silence for a few moments, bewildered.

Finally, Foxkit broke it. "I suppose she'll come see us again? With our dad?" he asked, trying to sound more enthusiastic.

Lilackit didn't look hopeful. "She'd better."