Chapter 16) Mistakes; We All Make Them And We Can Make Them Right Too

"We all make mistakes... but it's also a step in the right direction.

If nothing else it's a step away from the wrong one."

― Adam Silvera

November 17th 2014

I got my early birthday present over a month ago; beginning of Haruka's recovery.

It's a very slow recovery, little bursts of consciousness that come and go. There are days when Haruka is showing signs of awareness for almost the entire day, while on others he's far gone or even sleeps twenty hours a day. And sometimes, I have to admit, it's still very hard. But there are also days when I'm filled with happiness after walking into the room and hearing Haruka greet me with a hi-like grunt.

Today Haruka greets me with a longer groan and a ghost of a smile on his face, making it clear that he's not just telling me "Hi". He's reminding me of what day it is; my happy nineteenth birthday.

Exactly one year ago, Haruka and I moved into this house together. We were faced with a, possibly very dark future with lots of heartache and tears. But now, on my nineteenth birthday, I walk into Haruka's room with the widest smile ever; I don't have to spend another birthday without my best friend by my side wishing me happy birthday way too early in the morning.

"Well, thank you." I giggle, when Haruka glares at me expecting a response. "I'm sure it will be a happy birthday." What I don't add, is that I think it will be because I've got a lot planned for the day.

I can't go into my birthday without a plan, so I've been up late yesterday and the day before to get everything ready. Ren and Ran will come over around lunchtime. They aren't coming alone of course. Mom and dad will be there too. And we have to go to the grocery store before that; to get ingredients for both lunch and dinner.

But that isn't what I'm being mysterious about, because there's another, even more special, thing planned. It took me ages to get everyone together for this surprise party.

Yes, I will be throwing a party for myself, but I want to keep it a surprise for Haruka, because even if it's my birthday, it's also a way of celebrating the start of Haruka's recovery.

I texted Nagisa and Rei yesterday, telling them that Haruka has regained some consciousness and that he was doing way better than on my previous birthday, before asking them if they wanted to come over for dinner today. It took them some time to answer because apparently, they had a date-night planned today, but in the end they decided they needed to see their friends again after such a long time.

Rin took more convincing; first, he told me that there was no way he would come. He made it clear that he'd backed out of this more than a year ago. He wanted nothing to do with Haruka, or me for that matter, anymore. But I knew I couldn't throw a reunion for Haruka without inviting Rin; he was also one of Haruka's closest friends, even if Rin completely denies this now.

So I called Gou, who I had already invited, asking if she could talk to her brother. She must be very good at convincing Rin, because he called late yesterday evening, to tell me that he'd be eating dinner with us too. He didn't sound happy about it, but he promised he would show up.

At first, I wanted to ask Kisumi over as well, maybe even invite Ikuya and Asahi if Kisumi still had their phone numbers, but decided to leave that for some other time. I wanted it to be just the six of us. This'll be nicer for everyone, including Haruka and me, and that's what's most important in the end.

"Are you ready for an exciting day?" I ask Haruka, trying to get him hyped up for something he doesn't even know is going to happen today. He doesn't really show much response, but there's a cheerful shimmer in his eyes, especially when I suggest that we'll start of well today; with a bath.