Qibli

Qibli was flying over the desert. Not looking for anything. Not going anywhere. Just flying. He soared over the vast, sandy dunes glittering in the hot desert sun. He saw other SandWings in the distance as he spiraled and dove through the sky. To the east he saw a tall two-peaked mountain.

He wasn't going to Jade Mountain today. He had a couple of weeks before school resumed after the break. Even further to the east he was able to notice a thin line of dark green. The rainforest, he thought, where Moon is.

He'd told himself that he wouldn't think about his maybe-girlfriend until he was back at Jade Mountain Academy, but he was failing miserably at that. So miserably. He couldn't STOP thinking about her.

The day before, when he'd gone into the palace library to look for a scroll on snakes, he'd seen a shadow that looked like Moon. He'd been so excited. She's come to visit me, he'd thought happily. But it was a shadow.

Qibli wondered if she was thinking of him. He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't notice he was about to crash into one of the SandWings until her heard a gruff voice snap "Watch it, you almost hit me."

"Sorry," Qibli mumbled and flew on.

As he swooped back towards the palace, he thought of Moon again.

Is she flying right now? Is she eating? Is she with her mother?

Qibli shook himself out of his thoughts, and landed in one of the courtyards. Sun reflected off the pool of water in the center, and standing by it was a very familiar figure.

"Qibli," Queen Thorn said, "Where have you been?"

"Flying," he told her.

"I have something to tell you," she told him, "Let's get out of those nosy guards' earshot." They guards stood in the corners of the courtyard, so Thorn guided Qibli to the side of a small pond in the center.

"It's about Jade Mountain Academy." What is it? Qibli thought, Is it about Moon?

"The dragonets think that, after all the events lately, it would be wise to see if they can catch up."

"Okay," Qibli said. He had a feeling that wasn't all Thorn wanted to tell him.

"So," Thorn continued, "They are ending the break sooner. You go back to school the day after tomorrow."

Qibli didn't know what to think about this. On the first talon, it would mean he'd get to see Moon sooner, but on the second talon, it meant he'd have to go through more boring history sessions.

I wonder if Thorn would give me a "get out of history class" pass if I asked her?

"Qibli," Thorn said impatiently, "You should probably head to Jade Mountain." He turned and flew in the direction of Jade Mountain.

Moon and boring history, Qibli thought. One is awesome, but the other just might kill me. It would be hilarious if he died of too much history. Except, then he'd be dead. Never mind, not hilarious.

I'll see Moon, he thought.