American Gothic

After getting to the cure and stashing it where no one could find it, she went to meet Elijah in Pennsylvania under a gazebo. She was going to make a deal with him. The deal was that she would give the cure to Elijah who would then give it to Klaus and ask him to free her from having to run from Klaus for the rest of her existence. If everything worked out, she would be free, no longer having to fear him.

It was a beautiful day, as Elijah and Katherine stood in front of each other in the alleyway, half talking and half yelling at each other.
"Is that what I am to you? A means of survival?" he questioned.
"No, of course you're not a means of survival. You looked out for me when I had no one. You've given me a second chance now, when no one else will." She rested a gentle hand on the side of his face and looked up at him. "I love you." He turned his face away and she dropped her hand. "You don't believe me."
"I want to, but how can I when, at every turn, you give me a reason to doubt you?"
He turned around and started to walk away.
"Wait," she said.
"Goodbye, Katherine," he said .
All she could do was watch him walk away, knowing she was slowly losing him.

Elijah was walking down a sidewalk that night, when Katherine walked over to him, purse slung over her shoulder.
"Elijah," she greeted.
"What do you want?" he asked, though he wasn't interested, not wanting to be lied to again.
"To tell you that you're right. I've ran for so long just to survive...I-I'm starting to believe my own lies. I don't even remember who I was when we first met. And I want to find out," she confessed.
She took his hand, holding it out, and set the vial that held the cure in his hand, and closed it. She still held onto his hand, though.
She looked up at him.
"I want you to trust me just as I'm trusting you. I'm going to let you decide where we go from here." She let go. "You don't owe me anything." She turned around and walked away.
He silently watched, as she walked off, before meeting Rebekah at the car.
After she got a call from Klaus, Klaus got informed that Elijah was heading back to Mystic Falls with the cure in his possession.
"Come home brother, and we'll settle this like family," Klaus replied, before hanging up.
After they had hung up, Rebekah informed him that she wanted to take the cure. Because he didn't understand why, she explained to him, saying, "I want to live a simple life as a normal person. And when it ends, it ends. We've had twenty life times to get it right, Elijah. Isn't that enough?"
"I still don't understand. I mean, why must you always consider our family a burden? Always and forever. I mean, those words are as important to me today as...as they ever were."
"You'll always be my brother and I will never stop loving you," she assured him. "But now it's time for me to live and die the way that I choose. Not the way you and Nik want me to. Please. Please, just give me the cure."

After they arrived in Mystic Falls and Klaus found out that she wanted to be human again, which made him unhappy at her, Elijah and Rebekah made a deal. If she could go to the party at the high school that was being held and not use any vampire-related abilities, she could have the cure. She had to show him that she truly wanted to be human. That she COULD be human.
After something happened that she needed to heal the Mayor's daughter though, she failed.