6: This december

Zhongli touched the cut below his right eye, it had started to heal a week ago, but he was afraid it might reopen. When Venti saw him walk through the door with that he started screaming, lashing out at him with questions about what had happened. Zhongli smiled bitterly, remembering Childe's words. He had tried, wanted to help him, and did, but in the end Childe made it pretty clear that he didn't want his help. He had insisted, but they ended up that way...

He'd spent the last three weeks as he used to before he went to the brothel so often, and it didn't take long for him to get back into his old routine. Even having adjusted again without much difficulty, his head couldn't stop thinking about Childe. Zhongli didn't know how he felt about their relationship with Childe. Was he angry? Sad? He only knew that he missed him, but that very fact bothered him. Why did he have to feel that way about the redhead? Childe literally cut him under the eye, and could have blinded him. Was it an accident? Yes, but why did he take the razor in the first place? Wasn't he supposed to just use it in self-defense? Zhongli didn't remember attacking him, so he was just throwing a tantrum, right?

The brunette shook his head, trying to pay attention to the pile of documents in front of him. He couldn't focus as much as he wanted, his mind wandering over Childe.

He took a deep breath. Even if Childe's actions had been wrong, perhaps he had some reason why his feelings had been so altered that they would have provoked such a strong reaction. That was most likely. He hadn't been treated well, Zhongli didn't know him fully either, he didn't know the whole story about him. It was clear that Childe did not trust other people, and from what he said he was trying to justify Zhongli's actions to a negative end. Could it be that he was afraid to accept that there might be good people?

"You know who I am, don't you? A fucking Snezhnayan, do you think society would treat me well?"

He certainly he was right. Liyue had never been famous for their good treatment of the people of Snezhnaya, but in general society repudiated those who came from that nation. In any case, each time that rejection was becoming less and less thanks to the fact that the new generations were more open-minded... In general. Childe could have clung to his idea that it was impossible for him to have a normal life, that he couldn't trust others. The fear of accepting otherwise could have made him react that way, since he would be abandoning the only thing he knew.

If that was the case, how must he feel? Zhongli had wanted to save him, wasn't that a part of the salvation he intended to give her? He brought his hand to the scar, touching it with his fingertips. He was going to leave a mark, of that he was sure. He rubbed his temple, not sure what he had to do. His mother had always told him that he was stubborn, Childe too, although he meant to offend him. At that moment he had thrown in the towel with the redhead, or had simply given him what he wanted with the excuse of having been harmed. He was confused. Did he really have to help him? He wanted to help him, but he wasn't stupid either. If he had come out with a scar, who told him that it couldn't happen to him again? He also had to look out for his safety, which he hadn't done very well on some occasions, but this time he did get hurt (and on top of that for the person he was trying to help).

He buried his face in the palms of his hands, releasing a long sigh.

"Are you okay?" He raised his head, meeting Hu Tao's crimson eyes watching him. The girl was resting her elbows on the table, her chin resting on the back of her hand. Zhongli looked at the wide open door, when had she entered?

"Not much," he replied, picking up the cup of coffee and taking a sip. Hu Tao stared at him, blinking a few times. Zhongli glanced at her, he didn't have the strength to put up with any of her jokes, if that was the reason why she was there. "You need something?"