24: Tell me that you love me even if it's fake

CW: Death of a family member

-

Zhongli came out of the bathroom after finishing his shower, a towel wrapped around his neck to avoid wetting the floor. He headed for the bedroom, expecting to find Childe there, which he didn't. He frowned, turning on his heel and heading toward the living room, hoping he was there. And indeed, there he was.

As on his birthday, he was on his back, leaning on the window railing; but this time watching the sunset. The orange colors flooded the place, the sunlight illuminating his ginger hair still wet, the violet shadows creating a mystical atmosphere.

Childe didn't turn to look at him after a few seconds; a soft smile set on his lips, while his eyes remained lifeless, which made the brunette shiver. Zhongli walked towards him, standing next to him, glancing sideways at the cigar in his hand. He returned his gaze to the blue eyes, arching an eyebrow.

"Are you okay?" Zhongli asked, looking into his dead eyes. "Have I hurt you before?" Childe shook his head, looking away again, turning to the window and looking up at the sky, also in shades of orange. The redhead took a drag on his cigarette, slowly expelling the smoke. He seemed seemingly calm, as if he was lost in thought of him; engrossed by the urban landscape that they had observed so many times together.

Childe smiled weakly, closing his eyes for a few seconds before lowering his head. What was happening to him? He raised his eyelids, still not looking at him. The ash came off the cigarette, falling slowly towards the street. He finally spoke, his voice sounding eerily calm.

"The sunset is beautiful, isn't it?"

-

Zhongli watched as Childe looked away from his amber eyes, both hands placed on the microphone handle. He could tell from his expression that he was scared, but that he was trying to keep a cool expression.

"My name is Tartaglia," the shouts of the public greeted the redhead, who smiled nervously. Zhongli was glad that he could be there, not unlike the previous concert. Childe turned to look at his companions on stage, staying still for a few moments and then walking towards the stand that was a few meters away from him, placing the microphone there.

Childe settled on the guitar, getting ready to start playing. Zhongli was curious about the lyrics of the song, although he knew the melody, the lyrics were something he didn't. He wanted to know since he saw how he hid the papers, and his curiosity increased when Childe had whimpered something about the song the day before.

"I want to dedicate this song to someone very special, someone who is watching me from the audience," Childe began to say, the lights lowering their intensity and color, changing to a slightly yellow, while those in the background were blue. Zhongli held his breath, nerves rising in the pit of his stomach. He meant him. "I ask you to not forgive me."

"What...?" Zhongli whispered, staring at the redhead, waiting for him to look back at him. Contrary to what he thought, his eyes did not meet again. What did he mean by that? What he wouldn't forgive him? Zhongli swallowed hard, his nerves turning to despair and restlessness. What was happening? He looked around, trying to catch a glimpse of someone else Childe knew, hoping the song wasn't directed at him.

When he heard him play it for the first time the feeling of melancholy and regret washed over him, the music overwhelming his senses with those two sensations.

Childe gave a signal to his bandmates, and within seconds, he started playing. To his surprise, none of his companions accompanied him; just the sound of the acoustic guitar reverberating through the speakers.

«We drive through the woods, rich neighborhoods to watch. We joked as we looked that they were too good for us»

Childe finally began to sing, his voice sounding too calm, his expression seeming to be one of... Pain?