(8) breathless for an eternity

cabinbythesea on ao3

Top Louis

Going into it, Harry knew it wasn't going to be easy.

Of course, the acting, hosting, and even performing sat at the pit of his stomach in a bundle of nerves.

More than anything, though, Harry was stressed about . . . controlling himself.

Nobody - not even Jeff - made him aware of the newest member of the SNL cast. Sure, he is given a list of names with light backgrounds beforehand to avoid awkwardness throughout the week. Nobody wants to come off as the celebrity guest who isn't educated on the show, or worse, its cast.

Then again, nothing could have prepared him for Louis Tomlinson.

Harry first sees him at the first performance rehearsal. He's trying to go over technicalities with Mitch when he catches him in his peripheral. He notices the man's scruff first, then his smiling mouth as he chats animatedly to Kenan. He finds himself nodding at whatever Mitch is saying, but his eyes stay tracking the man. His feet are stood a good width apart, and even with his smaller form, he comes off demanding in the way he rubs his hands together as he speaks. Harry wants those hands on him.

" Harry."

"Huh," he turns his head back to Mitch, who looks at him disapprovingly. "What?"

"Please . . . not again." Mitch knows him too well.

Harry frowns and crosses his arms. "What do you mean again ?"

He raises his brows. "Need I remind you of the last tour? The lighting guy on Graham Norton?"

Harry scrunches his nose. "He ended up being 'straight.' Doesn't count."

"So it didn't count when he came out of the bathroom with sex hair and you following shortly after?"

He scoffs. "Sex hair? Hardly. We only made out. He was a little . . . boring for my taste."

"You mean he didn't wanna give you your medicine?"

Harry actually laughs at that, shoving Mitch off the bench dramatically. "Fuck off."

Louis heard his laugh before he saw him.

Him and Kenan were talking about some of the upcoming skits when an intruding laugh broke the conversation.

They both look over and while Kenan turns back to him, Louis leaves his gaze linger because this must be Harry Styles: Host and Musical Guest. He would remember if he's seen this man before.

Yeah, Louis was informed on the host and musical guest, obviously, but he never actually matched a face to the name. Of course he has heard the name Harry Styles on multiple occasions, whether it be his younger sisters or the godforsaken bird app, but he has never put the effort into discovering more about him.

"Is that Harry Styles?" Louis double checks, still watching as the man moves on to talk with his female guitarist. His dimples can be seen all the way from where Louis is standing and he cannot help but notice how his comfortable beige jumpsuit hugs him in all the right places.

"Oh, yeah. Cool guy! Filmed some promo with him earlier," Kenan replied.

Louis hums in acknowledgement. "He's hosting, too? Seems a bit young."

Kenan chuckles at that, catching on to Louis' wandering gaze. "Told me he's twenty-five actually. You haven't heard of Harry Styles, Lou? Kid's everywhere."

"Well, yeah, I've heard the name obviously, but never knew . . . who he was," he finishes lamely.

Kenan eyes him knowingly. "Well, I'm sure you'll get plenty of time to know who he is this week."