Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Present

I don't know how long I've been watching Archean as he plays with my three year-old niece, Gigette. He's currently kneeling on the grass as he lets my niece cup his face using her tiny hands. She has this huge fascination with Archean's ocean blue eyes.

She loves looking at them.

I remember her asking one time, "Uncle, Archean, am I allowed to swim inside your eyes?" And the way she asks that question was full of innocence and curiosity, making everyone laugh in delight of her. Especially Archean... I remember him laughing as he carried her and spun her around saying, "Oh honey, if only I could make that possible then I'd let you, without a second thought..."

That sight of them melted my heart, but it also wrecked it into small million pieces.

Just like this current sight of them does.

"Uncle, it's my birthday today. I want to have your eyes as my gift! They're sooooo beautiful!" My niece giggled as she stares at Archean's eyes with full adoration.

I want my children to have his eyes, too.

But that's just never going to happen.

Archean chuckles. "That's not possible, baby girl... how about I buy you a doll that has blue eyes in it?"

Gigette beams. "Ooh, ooh! I want that, uncle Archean!" she claps her hands in delight as she slightly jumps. "I want Danny Phantom! His eyes are blue, too and they can change to color green! Do your eyes change colors, too, uncle?"

"Ang cute naman po ni sir Archean tsaka ni baby Gigette," I almost startle when I heard someone talked beside me. I tilt my head to look at her. She doesn't look familiar but I'm sure she's one of Davina and Greg's maid.

I just give her a polite smile before licking my lips to wet them.

"Kayo po ma'am? Kailan niyo po balak bigyan ng baby si sir Archean? Mukhang gustong-gusto na niya, oh."

That catch me off guard. Questions like that always do. They make me freeze, they drain all the blood that I have in my body.

When are you and your husband going to have kids?

Ilang taon na kayong kasal, kailan mo ba balak bigyan ng anak si Archean?

Wala pa ba'ng laman 'yan?

Those are just the few questions that I always get asked and a lot of times, I would just pretend that I didn't hear it as I open a new topic.

How do I tell them that I'm incapable of being pregnant?

How do I tell them that I'm incapable of giving my husband something to call as his family?

Questions like that were like a hard slap of all my defects and imperfections. That's why as much as possible, I ignore social gatherings with people who don't know anything about my life.

"Ikaw, kailan mo balak mag-trabaho nang maayos? I hired you to work, hindi para tsumismis at mag-interview! Dinaig mo pa si Jessica Soho, ah. Balik sa trabaho! Pronto!" My sister came out of nowhere, snapping at her maid.

She uttered a scared and frantic sorry before drifting as fast as she can.

"Punyetang 'yan, ang aga-aga," Davina glares at her maid who's now ten feet away from us as she massage her temples.

I click my tongue. "Ano ka ba? Hindi mo naman dapat ipinahiya nang ganyan 'yung tao." Saway ko sa kanya.

Davina looked at me, arching a brow. "E, sa matagal na 'kong irita diyan sa Inday na 'yan! Inuuna pa ang chismis kaysa maglinis!" Nakairap nitong sabi.