Chapter 3

Video by Frimizen.

♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡

Kristine drove into the driveway of the address she had punched into her GPS

Kristine drove into the driveway of the address she had punched into her GPS.  She let out a deep sigh, already regretting her decision to go to a Christmas party.  All the people there.  God, her social anxiety was already spiked.  Perhaps she should wait until Levi and Miley got there.

No.  Amy had already seen her in the window and was waving to her.  It was rude to sit and wait in the car and make her hostess wait.  She may have never been the type to care about formalities, but she was never rude.

Gathering her phone, keys, and wallet, she got out of the car.  She locked the car doors with a beep and walked to the front door.  Amy greeted her with a bright smile and opened the glass door.

"Hey, Kristine!  So glad you could make it!"

The energy coming off the woman was off the charts.  Kristine passed her a smile.  "Thanks for inviting me."

"Now we're just expecting Levi and Miley," Amy exclaimed.  "We have board games, cards, drinks, food, the TV's open, I also have an Xbox, PS5, and a Nintendo Switch.  Whatever you want to do to your heart's content."

Was this a middles school party?  Never mind.  She liked the idea of the video games though.  Her mother never allowed her to have video games, and her Dad couldn't afford them due to Kristine's stepmother having breast cancer.  So she only got to play them while at other people's homes.  Why didn't she buy a gaming system now that she didn't love at home?  A Switch Light wasn't too bad right?

"Cool," she said in response.

"Do you want me to introduce you?"  Amy asked.

"Sure."

She led Kristine into the kitchen where her other guests were.  "That's Jack, Destiny, Kate, Sam, and Martin.  Guys, this is Kristine.  Destiny, do you remember her from high school?"

She scratched the back of her neck.  "I'm sorry.  I'm not good with faces.  I only remembered you, Amy, because you're the only person I kept in touch with since I went to college."

"Don't worry about it," Kristine assured.

"Sam and Kate are friends from college.  Martin Gale is Destiny's friend.  Jack is the guy who drops off my groceries."

The latter waved with a free hand, his other holding a hand of Uno cards.  "I feel like a random guy when you put it that way."

Amy laughed and whispered to Kristine.  "He's the kind of guy that would spike the punch in high school prom just for kicks."

"For the record, I did," Jack retorted as he set down a red skip.

"Point is, he's great company."  The doorbell rang. "Oh, that must be Levi!  I'll be right back."  Amy left and returned with both Miley and Levi.

"Hey," Kristine greeted.

Levi grinned.  Miley passed him a look and his shoulders slumped slightly as his smile faltered.  Suddenly, Kristine remember exactly why she did not like the woman.  She truly was the one that made her best friend depress, wasn't she?

The three sat at the table with the other with Miley sitting in between her and Levi.  Jack dealt out the cards as Amy introduce Miley and Levi to the others.

"You're on the radio now, right?"  Destiny squinted her eyes.

"Yes," Miley said, passing a smile.  "Have you heard his new song?"

"I don't know.  Sam here is low key a big fan and Amy is high key a fan.  So probably have."

"Oh, you're a fan?" Miley inquired to Amy.

She shrugged.  "It brings back memories from when we were in school and he would get to hear the songs he wrote.  It's very nostalgic for me.  Here, I'll pull it up on spotify so the others so they can hear it.  Is that ok?"

Levi shrugged.  Kristine noticed that he nervously glanced at her and Miley had a snobby smile on her face that said she felt like she was better than everyone.  She ignored Miley, but was confused why Levi was being shy about the song.  He never had been shy about his music since junior year in high school.

Amy pulled up the song 'Perfect' and Kristine made sure to pay close attention to the lyrics.  She didn't understand.   Wasn't he just singing about Miley like always?  What was different?

I'll never be perfect
I'll never be cool
I'll always be nothing
Unless I'm with you

That was it.   That didn't sound like Levi.  He was usually a humble man, but he would never think that he wasn't cool, because she always reminded him.  Was it just lyric or was he meaning that he never felt as confident or secure as she had always believed him to be?

How could he think he's nothing?  Or was that just how love made someone feel?  When they constantly fear that they'll never get love in return.  If so, she understood that feeling.

No she, was reading into the song all wrong.  He was probably just nervous because he knew that she didn't really like Miley and was just being cautious.  She wanted to slap herself.  Overthinking was one of the things that made her alone.  Levi was the only peron who ever seemed to stick around.  She needed to stop.

"Was that for Miley?"  Kate inquired innocently.

"Yes!" Miley answered.  Levi looked in the other direction and his cheeks grew a little red.

God.  He really liked her.  Why did that make Kristine feel empty?  She may not have had many friends in life, but she had always been satisfied, but why did she feel more lonely now while being surrounded by people?

  Why did that make Kristine feel empty?  She may not have had many friends in life, but she had always been satisfied, but why did she feel more lonely now while being surrounded by people?