Chapter 13

It was a week after the funeral and Kristine watched as her world just crumbled around her

It was a week after the funeral and Kristine watched as her world just crumbled around her.  Her older siblings returned to their homes because of their jobs, leaving her alone with Jordan and Debi.  Then the woman started throwing a fit when Jordan said he was packing to move in with Kristine.

Kristine looked at her confusion.  "What's your problem with him living with me?"

"You want me to stay alone in this house?" Debi cried.

"It's not about that, Debi.  I think it's best for Jordan to move into an apartment with me," Kristine reasoned.

"No.  I don't want him to leave.  He's under my custody and I say he stays."

Kristine felt anger burn in her chest.  "I think Jordan's old enough to decide for himself where he lives."

She didn't realize that they would actually have to take it to court.  Nor did she expect that they refused to let Jordan legally take his own custody since he wasn't that far from eighteen.  They were determined he should just spend the remainder of his time with his stepmother since it wasn't that long until he would leave anyways.

The court didn't care.  Kristine felt the anger boiling in the pits of her stomach.

"You didn't even ask where I wanted to go!" Jordan accused.  Kristine grabbed his arm and pulled him back in his seat.  Talking out of turn would not help his case any longer.  Sometimes he acted without thinking, which wasn't bad.  Just not particularly helpful in the situation they were in.

After all the legal matters were settled, the three of them walked out quietly to the cars.

"Hey, we'll figure it out, ok?" Kristine promised.

Jordan passed her a strained grin, but it was obviously forced.  He stuffed his hands in his pockets and his shoulders slumped a little.  "I know.  It won't be for too long either way." He got in the passenger seet of Debi's car.

Kristine turned to get in her car, but stopped by hearing Debi's voice.  "Hey.  I don't want you to come by my house."

"What?" Kristine's voice was full of disbelief, but what was she expecting?

"Unless I give permission, you're not allowed on my property. Period." She opened her car door and shut it faster than Kristine could react.  The woman pulled out of the parking lot, leaving Kristine standing there in her anger and shock.

Shaken from the court session gone completely wrong, Kristine drove down to the airport to pick up from Levi.  She stood and waited at the entrance of the airport until she found her childhood friend who she desperately missed.

"Kris!" Levi called, pulling on his suitcases.

Kristine turned towards him.  She had been waiting at the airport to pick him up from returning from his visit with his parents in California.  A tired grin spread across her face.

"You ok?  Sorry, I couldn't make it home sooner because of the snow storms on the way back.  When you told me about your Dad-"

"Hey, don't worry about that.  I'm just glad you're back.  If I'm being honest, I could be better." Her voice cracked, so she drew in a deep breath.

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

She chuckled bitterly.  "You just got back-"

"Forget that," Levi cut in.  "You've been here for me through the hardest times in my life.  Now it's my turn to help you."

"I don't know if there's anything you can do... Not unless you know a better lawyer."

"Lawyer?" Levi raised a brow with confusion.  They were walking towards Kristine's car.

"For some reason, Debi wanted custody over Jordan.  To tip things off, the court handed him over to her.  Now she won't let me see him period.  It's... It's been a hard day.  I'm worried about him.  I don't trust that witch with him for a moment!"

"He'll be an adult pretty soon," Levi pointed out.  "Is Debi so terrible that you'd need to take her to court?  I will help you get a lawyer tonight."

"Well, I don't have any evidence, but she is abusive.  Unfortunately, I have nothing but accusations," Kristine sighed.  "This sucks." She ran a hand through her shoulder length hair.  "This sucks so bad..." Tears blurred her vision.

"Hey, it's going to be ok.  We'll figure this out," Levi assured her.

"First my Dad, now I can't see Jordan.  Levi, I don't think I can handle that. Jordan helps keep me going.  I need him far more than he needs me, I'll admit.  I can't lose him right now."

"You're not alone.  I'm here, and there's no way I'm standing to the side when Jordan's in a situation like this," Levi promised.

"Thank you, Levi..."