Chapter 5

Kristine made sure that she took her time taking a hot, steamy shower

Kristine made sure that she took her time taking a hot, steamy shower. She let out a sigh, feeling her body relax. Then she dried off and put her clothes back on. Faintly, she could hear Debi's voice and she groaned. She hadn't heard the woman come home while the shower was on. Great.

She grabbed the doorknob to turn it. It wouldn't turn. Perhaps she locked it? Kristine tried the lock button in the doorknob, but it refused to budge. It had been locked on the outside. If this was a prank from Jordan, she was going to ring his neck.

Groaning, she pulled out her phone and entered contacts. She clicked on Jordan's and held her phone up to her ear as it rang. Suddenly, she heard his phone ringing, indicating that he was standing in the hallway. Then chaos broke out.

"What the hell! You son of a bitch!" Debi screamed.

Jordan cursed and Kristine could hear the sound of Jordan's feet pounding down the hall and perhaps Debi running after him. Was there a third person? Kristine stood there in silent shock. What had she started?

Suddenly, Jordan answered her call. "Bad timing, Kris!"

"What the heck is happening?"

"Well, at the moment, I just locked myself in the garage with a crazy woman pounding on the door, giving me a headache. I just realized I have no windows."

"Well, use the button to open the garage door," Kristine said.

"Can't. Debi broke it a couple weeks ago having a Karen fit. Can only open it from the remote, which is in the drawer in the kitchen. I don't want to face an angry Karen for that."

"What did you do?"

"Caught her cheating on Dad with some random biker dude on camera. Then you called and my phone wasn't on silent. My bad." He let out a nervous chuckle. The pounding and screaming on the garage door had quit and that made the both of them uneasy.

"So why am I locked in the bathroom?"

"Debi must have thought it was me in the shower. She doesn't know you're here."

Kristine let out a strained chuckle, but sounded more like she was choking. "Great. If only I had something to unlock this stupid door."

"I keep a screwdriver in there now to take the doorknob off to get the door open."

"Wait, she's done this to you before?" Kristine asked as she started working on the doorknob.

"Now we know why," Jordan chuckled.

"Why the hell didn't you tell someone?"

"It was too funny to see the look of disgust on her face everytime I broke out and she wouldn't understand how," he snorted with laughter.

"I swear to God that you have no self preservation," she muttered.

Kristine suddenly heard a crash of a door swinging open. Jordan said a swear word and there were odd sounds like he was in a tussle with someone.

"Jordan?"

"Hey, cut that out!" She heard Jordan's faint voice, indicating that phone was far from his face like he was holding it away. The there a strange sound, Jordan yelping, a crash and the phone hung up.

Should she call 911? The doorknob fell off and she swung the door open. Nope. She was going to pull her swings at Debi herself. Kristine rushed out of the bathroom. She could see a car driving off from the window, but she didn't stop to look. She ran directly to the garage.

"Jordan?"

He was just sitting on the ground with his back to the wall. His face had a sour expression as he stared at his shattered phone. "Wonder what story she's going to come up with to tell Dad for this one."

"Where's Debi?"

"Took off with her guy. She was an idiot to bring him here."

"You good?"

"Yeah..."

Kristine held her hand out and helped him up. They walked in and he went directly to the fridge. Jordan pulled out a Pepsi and snapped up open with a calm, yet furious expression on his face. That was one thing she admired about her brother and her father. When they got mad, they just silently walked away, grab a drink and refused themselves instead of blowing up like Debi.

"Did you have your stuff saved to the cloud?"

"The important stuff," Jordan muttured.

"I'll order a new one for you. You know Debi ain't paying for it. Do you want the same one? You need a phone."

"Kristine, it was a Pixel 5. You don't have that kind of money. You're using LG. I know you can't just buy me a Pixel 5. I don't want you to. Don't buy me a Pixel 5, Kris. Just get a cheap one until I get a job and buy a new or something."

"Alright, promise I won't give you the Pixel 5." She was going to order him the Google Pixel 6. She could manage that,plus she had free points in her Google store to make it cheaper. Kristine worked on ordering it, but unfortunately it was close to Christmas, so he wouldn't get it until afterwards.

"Want me to call Dad and tell him what happened?"

"He's busy in Chicago at the moment. We'll tell him when he gets back," Jordan replied with a shrug.

"Ok. If that's what you want."

"Wanna play Halo?"

"Sounds good to me," Kristine admitted.