Chapter 1- Welcome to Marleyport Secondary School

It was just a typical day in Marleyport. It was freezing, and the bright white clouds had faded to a dull grey colour now.
The roaring of car engines was a regular occurrence in the neighbourhood, but more specifically, this street.

Yes, 134 Lamforth Street was the home of our leading lad—Mr. Aahan Patel.
A thirty one year old single man—a title often used by his parents.

His feet crushed the grass beneath them as he sprinted across Mrs Wolebee's front lawn, taking extra care when he approached her lillies.
He leapt over them, his foot brushing against, but not damaging, a couple in the process.

"Oh, 'ello!
What's got you all excited then, Aahan?", questioned a red-haired woman across the road.

Jane Hall-Oversam.
Her bright red-hair was a stark contrast to her warm hazel eyes.
Her ruby red lips were always coated in lipstick and lip gloss to stay that colour, but upon closer inspection, you could see the faint lines from where she had been biting her bottom lip too much.
She always did that when she was worried or stressed.

That summed up Jane pretty well.
She wore bright clothes to match her bright smile and she always accessorised with a scarf, but even she couldn't keep up the happy-go-lucky act all the time.

At thirty three, she recently split up with her husband of ten years, and lost her children in the custody battle.
She missed out on a promotion at her office job, and spends her free time organising the tin cans in her cupboards.
Then she puts the kettle on and drinks two cups of strong tea before binge-watching a tv series she's already seen about fifty times.

"I got the job!", replied Aahan.

Jane's face lit up, and she grinned, before throwing her arms in the air.

"That's fantastic, Aahan!
Pop 'round mine later and I'll make you my famous cheesy pasta bake."

Never eat Jane's cheesy pasta bake.

It takes like already chewed cardboard.

But she means well.

When Aahan finally made it to his house, he was greeted by an angry looking man.
He had white strands of hair just above his ears, and a small mole on his right cheekbone.

"Aahan, yah kya samay hai?
Tumhaaree maan chintit thee!", he snapped.

"I'm not even that late!
Maaji knew I was staying with a friend for a few weeks, why is she worried?"

"Aahan, you know how your mother is", replied Aahan's father.

"I have great news to share.
I–"

"Mera bacha!", exclaimed a woman who was standing behind Aahan's father.

She had jet black hair, but grey peaked through just a little.
The grey strands seemed to sparkle a little when the light caught them.

She wrapped her arms around Aahan and started swaying from side to side.

Aahan chuckled.
"Maaji, I'm ok!
I actually have some n–"