Chapter 27- Detention

WARNING:
EMOTIONAL CONTENT.
Includes mentions of bullying, immigration, rac*sm, disability and emotional distress.

Early in the morning, Principal Rogerson called a staff meeting in the assembly hall. Aahan saw some teachers he had never spoken to before, and some he had exchanged pleasantries with. Aahan noticed Paige towards the left of the hall, sitting with Ruby, Nalini and Jax. He walked over to them, a nervous smile on his face when a grinning Paige waved at him.

"Hey!", she beamed. "Don't worry, I stashed some snacks in my bag to get us through this meeting."

"You're a lifesaver!", smiled Jax.

"I need to start doing that", said Nalini.

"I don't suppose you have any coffee hidden away in there?", asked Ruby.

Paige shook her head. "No, sorry. I should definitely start bringing that though."

"Um, there's a pretty good cafe near my house. I could bring in some coffee for you guys, if you like?", offered Aahan.

"Dude, I love you", said Jax.

"You're an angel, Aahan", said Nalini.

Paige pointed to Aahan. "We are so keeping you."

Aahan smiled to himself. He was quite proud of himself for winning over some of his colleagues.

"Good morning everyone!", called out Principal Rogerson. "Now, there are a few things that need to be discussed, but arguably the most important one, is the Hartlong Incident."

"The Hartlong Incident?", asked another teacher.

Principal Rogerson nodded. "Yesterday afternoon, a group of students locked Everett Hartlong in a toilet cubicle. Everett himself refused to tell us anything, but some of the students involved have been cooperative."

Everett Hartlong's parents were long time investors in the school, so it was safe to say that funding would be drastically reduced if relations with them turned sour.

"What do you intend to do about the situation?", asked Ruby.

"Well, the situation is a lot more complicated than we initially assumed. So, as you can imagine... it is tricky to navigate", said Principal Rogerson.

Michael Rogerson was out of his depth.

So far out of his depth he'd need a map to find it again.

Aside from Mr. More's hospitalisation, this was the biggest scandal to fall upon the school whilst he was in charge. It was at times like this where he longed to just be a teacher again.

"May I suggest something?", asked Ruby.

"Please, by all means, go ahead", encouraged Michael, desperate for some guidance.

"If there was no evidence of violence, then maybe the offending students should be given detention instead", suggested Ruby. "Detention usually runs for an hour, but you could extend it to a two hour session for them."

Aahan leaned closer to Paige. "They can do that?"

Paige nodded. "Yeah, it's well within the school's rights."

"That's an excellent idea Ms. Boateng", said Principal Rogerson.

"Hold on, how come a lowly receptionist gets to make the decision?", asked another teacher.

The Reception Crew, Paige and Aahan turned to look at the teacher. Ruby looked at them like they were out of their mind and Nalini looked at them like they had just insulted her mother. Jax looked at them with a confused expression.