Chapter 34- Baby

WARNING:
Includes mentions of bullying, isolation, pregnancy struggles, single parenthood.

After another early morning meeting, the Reception Crew went back to their office. The meeting was centred around the same topics that usually came up—budget cuts, behaviour management and grades. It was actually quite disheartening. Government officials put an awful lot of pressure on schools to do well, without actually giving them the funding they need to do well.

"Michael seemed really stressed today", said Nalini.

"Yeah, I can't imagine it's easy being a head teacher with so much going on", said Jax.

"It's part of the job", said Ruby.

Nalini and Jax shared an uneasy look. It was no secret that the tension between Ruby and Michael had reached new heights. Before, Ruby was happy to coexist with him, but after his blatant dismissal of her suggestions, she couldn't care less about helping him. Maybe there was a small part of her that still felt sympathy for him, but if it did exist, it was buried pretty deep.

A bell sounded at the gate, and Jax went to look at the monitor to see who it was. Gasping, he quickly buzzed the person in, rolling over the counter to get to the door. A tall, thin woman with long blonde hair was stood outside. She had baby Cheyenne in her arms and a bag at her feet.

"Holly! What happened?", asked Jax, stepping aside so she could walk through the door. "Is Cheyenne ok?"

"She's fine", replied Holly, gently bouncing Cheyenne in her arms. "Look I am so sorry to do this, but I just found out my boyfriend has been in an accident, and I have to go to the hospital now."

Jax's eyes widened. "Wait, but, I'm at work!"

"Oh you poor thing!", gasped Nalini. "I hope he has a swift recovery."

Holly smiled gratefully at Nalini. "Thank you."

Holly handed Cheyenne to Jax and gave the bag to Nalini.

"I've sorted her baby milk out, and I've packed all the essentials."

Before Jax could object, she ran out of the building. Gently patting his baby's back, Jax turned to Ruby, who looked far from impressed. Her eyebrows were raised and her arms were crossed.

"Jax, you can't keep her here!", she exclaimed. "This is a work place."

"You heard Holly! I couldn't just ask her to take my baby to what could be her boyfriend's potential...", he started, covering Cheyenne's ears. "... deathbed."

"Oh, don't say that! I'm sure he'll pull through", said Nalini.

"That's not really the issue we're having right now, Nalini. But yes, hopefully he will", said Ruby. "Michael will not take kindly to you bringing a baby in here. It's unprofessional."

Jax's face softened. "Ruby, please. I-I... I really need this job."

"How exactly can I help you keep your job though, Jax?"

"Help me hide Cheyenne from Michael?"

Ruby raised an eyebrow at him. "You are joking, right?"

"Of course we'll help, Jax", said Nalini.

Ruby glared at Nalini, though her eyes softened just a little when she looked at her. Then, resolve unlike anything Ruby had ever seen before, appeared on Nalini's face. She meant every word. Ruby sighed.

"We can't hide a baby."

"Sure we can! We'll take turns looking after her. And we'll keep Michael out", suggested Nalini.