Chapter 4 - Madison | Play

"I've always liked to play with fire
Play with fire
I've always liked to play with fire"

- Play with Fire by Sam Tinnesz

****

We still have no idea who killed Blake and what the killer's motive was. Was it revenge? Or betrayal? Rivalry? Did Blake piss someone massively off?

What I do know now is that Blake is not the man I thought he was. It turns out he's been hiding a lot of things from Lucy and me for years.

I have thousands of questions that I will probably never know the answers to because the only one who could have answer them is lying dead in his office.

Well, he's not lying there anymore. After I returned to L.A. from Las Vegas, I went looking for Lucy and we stayed undercover until an old friend of Blake's contacted us. He assured us that we had nothing to worry about because arrangements had been made for such an incident long before.

Lucy still wanted us to go through with our plan to leave for New York earlier, as she felt very uncertain about the whole thing, but I was able to persuade her to stay in town for a few more days to clear up a few things.

We returned to Blake's house and disposed of his now cold body without involving the police, as that would have only caused us more problems. After all, you can't just invite cops into a thief's house.

While we were removing the body from the office, I noticed that our group photo that Lucy had mentioned on the phone had disappeared from Blake's desk.

Blake's men had no idea who could have taken the picture because none of them did, so Lucy and I assume it was either the killer or the three men who came in when Lucy was there.

Or maybe we are wrong and the three unknown men are Blake's killer.

I don't rule out either possibility. So either there are two sets of suspects or only one, either way Blake is dead and we are in deep shit.

Whoever took the photo is up to something with it. So either we run as fast as we can or we wait to see what happens. I hate this ambiguity. If someone wants to chase me, let him do it obviously.

Besides, we still have no idea why we are being hunted in the first place. Sure, because we were in close contact with Blake and worked for him for years, but if Blake had pissed someone off why do we have to suffer now?

After all, we didn't really do anything except share our loot with Blake. Maybe one of his customers had had enough of him and wanted him out of the way? Or did someone who was robbed find out that Blake was behind it? Which, in that case, could include Lucy and me if we pulled off the heist.