Chapter 2

Two weeks now everything is so quiet

Two weeks now everything is so quiet. I spend many hours alone, and even when Sean is home from work, he doesn't bother me. We take care of each other.

At nights I can't sleep, this "dead" silence scares me. Keeps awake.

I climb the stairs, go to the kitchen & drink a glass of water. I hear steps. I walk in the living room; someone shuts my mouth with his hand and wraps his arms around me. I look around and I see more men. Sean hears the sounds and comes down.

"Serene?" he whispers, "Serene?" he says louder, "Serene!" he sees me trapped in a man's tight grip, "Let her go!" he is ready to attack when one of the men hits him on his head with a baseball bat, he loses his senses and falls down.

I'm feeling the panic overwhelming me. He dead, I think.

"No!" I yell. "Let go of me!" I scream. I try to push away the man that's holding me.

Sean moves, he manages to get up. "Let... let her go! She has nothing to do with this!"

"I don't really give a damn." One of the men says.

"Sure thing is she's going to watch you die." Adds the other.

"No! Don't you dare!" I yell.

One of them laughs and punches Sean. He falls down on the floor as they all start kicking him, covers his head.

"Stop! Leave him alone!"

I feel my blood hot. I try to stay calm and not to attack because I don't want Sean to see my real self.

"You fucker!" I shout.

The man walks up to me. "Who the hell are you? Did our little friend get a girlfriend already?"

"None of your business!"

"She's a tough one!"

Sean manages to stand up again. "Get away from her!"

How is it possible for him to walk? They beat him really bad.

One the men take out a knife and stabs him. Sean kneels.

I feel a sharp pain in my chest. "Sean! No!" I cry. The time stops. Everything falls apart. I feel the man's hands holding mine. I watch Sean lying on the floor, bleeding, hurting, his eyes are closed. I raise my gaze and I see men arguing, but I can't hear what they say. My head is spinning. I look at Sean again. He doesn't move, he doesn't breathe. What have I done? This is all my fault. What am I going to do now? I feel the man shaking me but doesn't let me go. Their voices come back. They're shouting, arguing.

"Are you out of your mind? What did you do?"

"We were supposed to scare him and hit him, not kill him, you're an idiot!"

They're all in panic. I can't help it, I can't stop it. It's going to make things worse, I think, but the anger inside me is so strong. I push the one who holds me and rush at the one who stabbed Sean. "You, fucker! How could you?" I hit him and keep yelling at him.