The Faceless Demon

You surround me, your festering presence, your putrid cackling, your intrusive whispers of torture.

You absorb all the light, leaving only horrifying darkness behind.

You lap up all the oxygen until I gasp for breath and choke.

You squeeze my chest, letting out a satisfying breath as my heart pounds beneath your calloused fingers, a touch so cold to make me shiver yet somehow hot enough to cause me to perspire.

You never leave me.
Sometimes you linger in the background whispering silent taunts, planting insecurities that grow like poison ivy in my mind.

Other times you wrap your rotten self around me entirely and drag me down to the ground, until I am incapable of doing anything but helplessly cry.

You are the faceless demon that haunts me every moment of my existence.
You are the shadow lingering in the corner, reminding me how useless and unworthy I am.

You are the reason i am afraid to see, to hear, to taste, smell and feel.

You are the one who leaves me incapacitated, unable to sleep, socialise and function like a normal human being.

You have been here for so long and no matter how many times I try to escape from your grasp, you will always find me, catch me, drag me back to your lair.

Your name is anxiety, and I am your prisoner.