Chapter Four

I stumbled out of bed and looked down to see my feet, covered in dirt. Shit.

I don't know where the dirt came from, but last time I checked, it didn't just randomly appear at the foot of your bed. And especially after a strange dream like that. Shit.

I massaged my temples as my head began to feel like it was being split open. My breathing quickened and I audibly gasped a few times at the pain of my brain pulling itself apart. Blood vessels in my head felt as though they were exploding over and over again. Shit.

I staggered down the hall and into the bathroom before turning the lights on, the intense white glow shocking my senses and causing the headache to worsen. Shit!

I let out a quiet sound, trying hard not to scream and wake anyone up. My head was being split open, I felt each atom burst repeatedly, and I could barely stand on my own two feet. Shit!

My stomach began to churn, and I felt the bile rise up my throat. I swallowed it back down. I would not let there be any disruption to the others. If they heard vomiting, they'd immediately get up. But my stomach had other ideas. SHIT!

I emptied the contents of my stomach into the toilet and started to dry heave. This was not how I had hoped today would go. We were going to buy our Nangidon uniforms, eat unhealthy take away and get home in time for me to do research on this school. I wasn't supposed to wake up in a cold sweat, with dirt in my bed, have my skull torn to shreds, and vomit!

"Shit," I sighed aloud.

The pain in my head had mostly subsided to a small pang. Which in comparison, was heavenly. I used toilet paper to clean my mouth off before flushing last night's dinner – and probably breakfast too – down the toilet. I let out an agitated sigh and waited to see if I had woken anyone up.

Zak was still sound asleep, snoring lightly. Jade was half falling off the bed, but no less asleep. And there was no way Samara could have heard me from the other end of the house. I let out a sigh of relief and walked back to my bedroom.

It gave me time to think. What had happened to me in the dream must've had something to do with what I had just gone through. I mean, I had had migraines before, but nothing so painful before. And the dirt had to have gotten there somehow.

I climbed up the ladder to my bed once I got to my room and stripped the bed that I had made, literally hours beforehand. I managed to get away with using the sheet as a sack to carry the dirt in. I left and poured all of the dirt onto the ground. I somehow managed to wack most of the dirt off of the sheet, but there were still bits of dirt on the fabric. To get the rest off, I soaked it in soapy water for a few minutes.

I felt the panging in my head persist with an annoying thump every few seconds. I groaned out as it became increasingly noticeable, but nowhere near as bad as before.

I could remember the last time I had a migraine. Mum had been by my side with a bucket, vegemite toast and a cuppa tea. I couldn't keep most of it down, but once I got some medicine in me the headache subsided. I still didn't end up going to school the next day and spent the whole time in bed while my parents worked. The only times I left were to get some food. Specifically, salty foods.

But the night before was still one of my fonder memories of her. We got into way less fights whenever I was ill or unwell. As though whatever God there was, was granting me mercy of the already headache inducing arguments, let alone when I was in that state.

I pushed the thought aside when I realised my eyes were watering and twisted some of the water out of my sheet before putting it in the drier. I watched the inner turmoil of the drier for a few seconds more before deciding to have a quick shower. I had one last night, I know, but I had woken up in a cold sweat and wasn't going to let myself go out while sweaty.