Chapter Eleven

I was hiding out in a servo, looking out at the chaos outside. The ground outside ripped up like paper and bright red light shot into the sky. The same cloudy sky drizzling with pink glitter I had seen a hundred times before.

The light tore the ground open like it was nothing more than butter, being sliced by a warm knife. Definitely not how roads or pavement would naturally behave. The glass sliding doors were ripped from their places and splatted onto the ground like jam. The glass windows flapped around in the wind like curtains, and the shelves began to fray like they were made of wool. This is the scene I'd begun to get used to.

I had seen many objects, buildings, floor types and materials behave in many unordinary ways. Wood shattering like ceramics, concrete dipping like a mattress, metal squashing like foam, and even carboard being as brittle as glass. None of these materials had the properties to behave in such a way but that didn't stop it from happening. And the strangest part; when you touched it, it still felt exactly like it was supposed to. The wood was smooth from varnish, the concrete was rough like rock, the metal was cool and flat, and the carboard was soft.

The very laws of nature and physics were being defied. And I couldn't help feeling that it was more than just a figment of my imagination. Especially not with how I would physically react upon waking up. If I'd hit my head, it was pounding. If I scraped my knees they stung. If I twisted an ankle, I had trouble walking on it (although that could be down to my own clumsiness). Not to mention everything else that happened.

The damage inside the servo was minimal. The ground was still solid, and the ground sliced open around it. I watched as the red light opened the ground, connecting to form a circle around the servo. And that moment, when the circle completed itself, was when it all went down. Literally.

The building began to wobble. It tilted from side to side. The contents of the room slid across the ground while I struggled to not fall out of the window. Whatever was holding the building up was shaking around like a tree in vigorous winds. I was tossed around like nothing more than a leaf on the ground.

I needed to find a way out. And fast.

I used my arms to latch onto the counter for support. I began feeling queasy at the motion. The building tilted to the right so far that it was on its' side. The glass flapped about underneath my feet as I clung onto the counter for dear life. All I could see in the rip was red. Bright, dangerous red light. Everything was flat against the wall, and we all anticipated to be launched in the opposite direction.

But we never were. Instead, the building started to shake about while it's wall still acted as the floor. It reminded me of when dogs would shake water out of their fur. I watched as shelves were thrown into the red abyss. I hugged the counter tightly. But I lost both balance and concentration when the computer hit me in the head and dropped through the hole below me.

I felt a cut form on my forehead as blood dripped into my eyelashes. I slowly slid down the counter. My heart felt like it would rip through my chest and possibly even dent the counter. I slid down despite my tight grip, the sweat on my palms not helping my situation. When one of the freezer doors came off its hinges it hit the space right above my head. I screamed and pressed myself against the counter. The door rubbed past my back and fell through the open window.

My mind was running at a million kilometres an hour. If that door had landed any lower, it would have taken me with it. If anything hit me, I'd be a goner. I'd probably still be a goner even if nothing hit me. My hands were sweaty enough to kill me all on their own. And with the blood dripping into my left eye, I was in the worst position to make it out.

But something kicked in. My best guess is adrenaline and fight or flight instincts. I tried to pull myself up as best I could. Rock climbing with Ciara had more benefits than I first thought. I took a deep breath, trying my best to not think about the painful, bone shattering death below me. But I'll admit, I was failing. I took a deep breath and yanked myself upwards. I didn't get far, the sweat covering me making me too slippery for it to be efficient.